Powder Springs was like most settlements in the early days that as they grew from a small settlement into a community then a town, it had many ‘First’ things that took place. This was how the settlement grew into a town and prospered through the years. The area was originally part of the Cherokee Indian Nation and inhabited by the Cherokee and Creek Indians.

These are some of the ‘Firsts’ that our settlement experienced when they came to the area in 1819, built the first log cabin and used the Springs as their water supply.

1828 gold was found in Georgia. It was fond here around the Lost Mountain area and the Brownsville Road area. However, not much gold was ever found. Those who then stayed, settled the area and began farming.

1830 the area became a district which was governed by a Board of Commissioners elected by the people.

1835 a Baptist Church was established. A Voting Precinct was also established with elections to be held at the home of Dudley Ayers.

1836 the first Post Office was established on April 11th and Charner B. Strump was appointed the first Post Master.

1838 the Cherokee Indians were removed from Georgia on “The Trail of Tears”. This opened the area for more opportunity for the white settlers and land available for settlement. The first Saw Mill was set up and more log cabins were built. The Methodist Christians (Church) began meeting.

1838 on December 29 th the settlement was incorporated as Springville. The first official Post Office was established at Springville. The Primitive Baptist Church was established.

1839 the first frame house was built.

1840 Springville Academy was established on December 19th . The Pavilion was built in the Park close to the Springs by the pioneers and slaves. The Pavilion and Springs continue to be a focal part of many activities in Powder Springs. The Baptist Church split at this time mostly on doctrine issues. The Baptist Cemetery was established. By now the population had grown to about 200 people.

1841 two churches formed out of the split of the Baptist Church the year before. The Primitive Baptist Church and the Missionary Baptist Church (or Springville Church of Christ). In 1841 the Missionary Baptist organized and was located on the hill on the west side of town near the Baptist Cemetery, whose first burial was also in 1841. This being the first cemetery in Powder Springs. The Missionary Baptist is now known as the First Baptist Church of Powder Springs. The Primitive Baptist built at the bottom of the hill below the cemetery at its present day location on corner of Old Lost Mountain Road and Jackson Way.

1844 the Methodist Church officially organized.

1845 a Presbyterian Church was established and was known as Hickory Flats or Springville Presbyterian Church. In1915 the church was dissolved and became part of the Midway Presbyterian Church.

1847 the Methodist Cemetery was established on property on Old Austell Road where the church had been meeting in a log cabin.

1848 Springville Lodge #153 of Free and Accepted Masons was established. The Masonic Lodge still bears that name today.

1850 the Charter for Springville was repealed leaving the village unincorporated. The Cobb County, Alabama and Turnpike Road Company organized. The road ran from the county seat in Marietta to New Babylon in Paulding County near Van Wert. The first funeral home was established and the first Undertaker was Uriah Matthews who operated out of his dry goods store.

An era of being a Health Resort began in the area because of the medicinal minerals in the water in Powder Creek and its curative powers. Over a twenty year period of time, five hotels were built and many residence took in boarders to handle the over flow.

1850/1851 saw the first Doctors. First Doctor a Dr. Ted Cotton (1839- 1913). Some accounts show as Dr. J.F. (or J.K.) Cotton. His office was in his residence on Main Street (Marietta Street).

1853 the Old Friendship Missionary Baptist Church organized. It is an early Black Church started by slaves and is located on the corner of Villa Rica Road and Friendship Church Road.

1859 Springville was incorporated as Powder Springs on December 19 th . A name that everyone could agree on. The city continued to use the Springs as their water source. Springville Academy became Powder Springs High School with grades one through eleven.

1864 Civil War came to Powder Springs as part of the Atlanta Campaign under General Sherman. Both Confederate and Union Troops occupied the area as they each made their way to Atlanta. No major battles were fought here. Several homes were used as field headquarters and/or hospitals. The only buildings destroyed were the Baptist Church and the Methodist Church whose wood was taken and used by the Union Troops to build their winter quarters/barracks. Between both occupations, mostly encampments, it was noted that there was a total of 16 Confederate and Union Generals here over a ten day period of time in the Autumn of 1864.

1867 New Hope Missionary Baptist Church was organized. It is a Black Church built by ex-slaves soon after the Civil War ended who wanted a place of their own to worship God. The church is located on Brownsville Road.

1870 Powder Springs Began to prosper again. Powder Springs High School built on Atlanta Street. It was sometimes referred to as the Powder Springs Academy. A branch of the Cobb County Public Library now occupies the property where the school once stood. Between 1870 and 1920 Powder Springs became the center of a strong agricultural region.

1870’s also recorded the first Dentist and Druggist, Dr. Campbell. He practiced both into the 1890’s.

1880’s to early 1900’s Powder Springs again became a popular resort destination attracting groups form neighboring communities and Atlanta. The local community also greatly enjoyed and participated in these activities in the Park and surrounding town. The Gypsies also visited Powder Springs during these years, camping near the Springs.

1882 Southern Railroad was built. It was originally the Eastern Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad, currently the CSX. Train excursions begin to run in the summer months to the resort town of Powder Springs.

1888 the population was 350. The first Telephone came to Powder Springs and was installed in Hipps & Sons Store downtown on Marietta Street.

1890 (to 1907) the second Presbyterian Church was established as the Powder Springs Presbyterian Church and located on the corner of North Avenue and Marietta Street across from the Baptist Church. Also, in 1890 Long Distance calling was added to the telephone service.

This Powder Springs History and Time Line information was compiled from various papers and documents that had been gathered by the dedicated work of several past Historians of Powder Springs to preserve our history.

Come and visit the Seven Springs Museum for more history both in the artifacts on display in the exhibits and the written history found in the Research and Library Room.