Powder Springs, Georgia
The Church of God of Prophecy Cemetery was established in 1960 and is located behind the Powder Springs Christian Fellowship Center at 4050 Austell-Powder Springs Road. This was the original Church of God Prophecy built in 1960. The cemetery backs up to the Methodist Cemetery.
The first burial was in December of 1960 of Eric Glenn Gilmer, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Lamar Gilmer.
The Church of God of Prophecy was organized in 1937. Their first church was built below Clarkdale in 1939-40. They sold that property and built a new church building in Powder Springs at 4050 Austell-Powder Springs Road in 1959-60. Ralph E. Bryant was pastor.
The church later built a new home just down the street at 4263 Austell-Powder Springs Road. Their original building is now used as Powder Springs Christian Fellowship Center.
In the Church of God Cemetery are buries church members and their families.
There are two graves at the edge of the woods on the right as you enter the cemetery. Alfonso D. Thompkins (1874-1949) and Fanny G. Thompkins (1895-1970). These graves are part of the Methodist Cemetery and not the Church of God Cemetery.
Charter Members of the Church: Elsie Ingram Hembree (1900-1980) and James Homer Hembree (1895-1972).
Members of the Building Committee 1959-1960: T. W. “Dutch” Ballew (1896-1970), Chairman; C. M. (Clyde Miron) Elsberry (1920-1984) also a WWII Veteran and Ernest J. Gordon (1989-1975).
Pastor of Church of God: Reverend Clifton L. Summerall, Sr. (1922-2011) beloved Minister who served twice. His wife, Ida Belle Spear Summerall(1923-2003) is buried by his side.
Annie Jane Summerall Herrin (1942-2015) who served as church Clerk/Treasurer, Sunday School Teacher and Praise and Worship Leader. She retired from Bank of America in Austell after thirty-five years of service.
Annie Mary Gordon (1914-2006) retired spinner from Coats and Clark in Clarkdale.
Marcie Hembree Hooks (1941-2013) retired from Richs-Macys after twenty-three years as secretary.
Marilyn Minter Ingram Stephens (1937-2013) served in the Music Ministry of the church for over sixty years.
There are also several Veterans from various wars buried here. These listed here are some of those Veterans. A “Thank You” always to all our Veterans no matter when or how they served their country.
World War II – C. B. Cleveland (1903-2000); James Wilson Griffin, Sr. (1925-1978); Jackson Edward Barnett (1926-2007); Howard Grady Bell (1918-1973); Ides William Gramling (1920-1993); Howard P. Pharr (1920-1981); Earl Neil White (1920-1999) and Rufus Lowell White (1917-2005). Earl Neil White and Rufus Lowell White were brothers.
Korea – Doyle F. Minter (1933-1975).
Vietname – Ken Murray (1933-1995).
There are memorial markers honoring the lives and families that are buried here in their final resting place.
The Church of God Cemetery has between 90-100 graves.
The cemetery is sometimes referred to as the Powder Springs Christian Fellowship Cemetery.
Al those buried here have left our community a better place to live, touching many lives along the way.
Note: The history of the church was taken from the information compiled by Annie Mary Gordon and Doris Hembree Gramling in the 1980s and 90s at the request of Sarah Frances Miller and Virginia Tapp. The information these two ladies provided are part of the archives of the Seven Springs Historical Society and housed at the Seven Springs Museum at the Bodiford House. We are indebted to these two gracious ladies for sharing this with us.