Powder Springs Cured Ailments

In the 1850s, Powder Springs was a health resort. Doctors prescribed a trip to the springs and treatments of various lengths for patients with serious kidney and bladder diseases, W.R. Tapp, Sr., was told by some of the oldest citizens that there was a hotel and a sanatorium in the park at the spring, that the hotel was destroyed by fire in 1859, and that the sanatorium disappeared in a few years. The Civil War put an end to Powder Springs as a health resort according to an account in the Mableton Mail, July 8, 1961. “The original building was a two-story one at the site of the pump house in the park. It was the town’s club house before the War of 1861 and reconstruction days.” This building could have been the one used as a sanatorium before the hotel burned.

According to Miss Roberta Murray, “In the early days of Springville (Powder Springs) the Pavilion was at the site where the brick pump house now stands in the city park. Powder Creek would overflow after rains and it interfered with the social life so the early settlers and their slaves cut a canal and changed the course of Powder Creek and built the present pavilion before the Civil War.”

From 1880 through the early 1900s, the park and spring attracted groups from neighboring communities and from Atlanta for recreational purposes. School groups, clubs and church groups picnicked then enjoyed the dance pavilion, the ball diamond, wading in the shallow water of Powder Creek and fishing in the deeper holes, horseshoe pitching, picking blackberries and other wild fruits, and spreading their lunches in the shade of the trees. The Southern Railroad ran special excursion trains in the summers, beginning in 1882, to Powder Springs. If the picnickers wanted to go riding around the country side, they could go to the Lindley Livery Stable and rent horses, buggies, carriages and wagons.

Political rallies and family reunions were held at the springs. Wheat Street Baptist Church from Atlanta had a picnic there. Local people had dances, wiener roasts, marshmallow toastings, box suppers, community sings and games of various kinds at the park. On Sunday afternoons the spring was a favorite gathering place for the young ladies and gentlemen of the town.

Printed in The Historical News Cobb & Douglas County, January 2018 – Info gathered by Sarah Frances Miller & Roberta Murray in the 1970s

Powder Springs Funeral Home History

Powder Springs Funeral Home originally opened in the 1850’s. The founder was Mr. Uriah Mathews. It was located in the area of town square. He kept the business until he sold it to Mr. Thomas Newell Lindley in 1899. At that time Mr. Lindley had a store and bookstore, and a casket room on the back of it. Uncle Tom ran the business until his death in 1937. On December 24, 1936 he hired Mr. Warren Watson “Pinky” Jennings. In 1937 Tom Lindley’s grandson Mr. Frank Pickens “Pick” Lindley took over the business. In 1940, the first actual funeral home building was opened. It was located in the Lindley Calloway House, which stands next door to the present location (now Mon Ami Academy). In 1953 the business was moved next door into the Walker Florence House. In 1968 Pick Lindley sold the funeral home to Mr. Gene Davis and it was renamed White Columns Funeral Home at Powder Springs. He only kept the business for three years, and in 1971 it was sold to Mr. Marion Heyward Turk. At this time the funeral home was called Turk’s Memory Chapel. Upon Mr. Turk’s death in 1980 his family sold the funeral home to Mr. Dennis Edward Bellamy. Mr. Bellamy still owns and operates the funeral home. Bellamy Funeral Home will open a new location in Hiram in November 1996, but the Powder Springs Funeral Home will remain in the present location. Over the years many people have worked at the funeral home, including Mr. Walter Thomas “Soup” Turner, Mrs. Mina Murray Turner, Mr. Marcus Dewitt Abernathy, Mr. Lloyd Duncan, Mr. Ralph Linton “Lin” Spratlin, Mr. Terry Pendley, Mr. Eric Jon White II, Mr. Duane John Baay, Mr. C. David Kirkland, Mr. Brantley Hastings, Mrs. Hilda McCarson, Mrs. Shelly Bellamy Palmer, and Mrs. Tara Genobles. Pinky Jennings continues to work at the funueral home, and on Christmas Eve of this year he will have achieved 60 years of service.
Sara Francis Miller, 1995, Seven Springs Museum Newsletter

An Old Home Place with Memories

An Old Home Place with Memories

by Sara Francis Miller
Powder Springs Messenger, April 1995

Near the right-of-way for the turnoff on Powder Springs Marietta Road to Cater Road sits a small yellow weather boarded house. It sits on a hill with a holly tree on the left. This is an old log farm house with two bedrooms and a kitchen. Another room was added on the house after the Civil War.

Here Jonathan Lindley grew wheat, cotton, corn and vegetables for his wife, Asenath and their five children. Nearby neighbors: the Selmans, Hunters and Pettys were friends. Jonathan Lindley like many others went to fight in the Civil War. Unfortunately he list his life in the battle. So his brave wife was left to raise the family. She had determination to make a go of it-even walked to Marietta with two other women to get a peck of meal.

During the war the Yankee soldiers shot in to the front wall of the cabin. The shrapnel splintered the log. A splinter closed the eye of the baby Asenath (Thomas Newell Lindley) was rocking. That very log is now in the museum in the park.

The house has had many owners: Tom Lindley, Fannie Turner, T.H. Scruggs, Mr. Glen Thrasher, Mr. I.L. Bowling and Nash Hovers who worked at Coats and Clark Thread Mill. The last tenants were a granddaughter of Nash Hovers; Angela and her husband Steve Tessereau. They have built a new house on Carter Road. Each family member has the vivid memories of living through wars and depressions and making ends meet regardless of good and poor crop years, stubborn mules, sickness and death.

Moving this historic house will help to make an easier turn for the motorist who may not be aware of the little log house with a shed room added to the back of the house. Hold on to the memories of happy carefree barefoot summers and wading in nearby Noses Creek and finding Indian arrowheads and spent Federal Army bullets.

Early Postal Service / Papa Was a Mailman

Papa was George David Miller, 1867-1955

Grandfather to Sara Frances Miller

A buggy that he used to deliver the mail is on display at the Seven Springs Museum

Early Postal Service Established in Mid-1800’s
by Sara Frances Miller
Powder Springs Messenger, April 1995

Letters were a way of communicating before the telephone. Post offices were established in each little community for the convenience of the people. We had post offices at Lost Mountain, Upshaw, Brownsville, Moon Station, Storey’s Store and Powder Springs.

Myrtle Kilgore says that there was a post office at Brownsville because she remembers hearing her mother talk about it. The mail came twice a week and they received a paper that was published twice a week.

Myrtle says she thinks the post office was in the old store which is no longer standing. The Brownsville post office was established on March 21, 1860, and discontinued February 28, 1906.

Moon Station was established September 6, 1895 and discontinued November 14, 1902. The post master was Mary E. Rakeshaw.

The Springville (now Powder Springs) post office was established April 11, 1836. An early post office in Powder Springs was in the lobby of the Lindley House Hotel. The office was moved across the street to a small wooden building on the corner where the Pat Mell hardware store is now located.

From there it moved to the spot where Taylor’s Upholstering Company was located in 1964. In 1915, Dave Miller built a marble front building on the north side of Marietta Street for the post office.

In August 1964, the post office was moved to a new building which J. B. McTyre built to lease to the government. This building was built on Pine View Drive.

The Untied States government built a $368,000 facility on Old Austell Road in October 1976. This office is more than five times as large as the old post office on Pine View Drive.

No government service has been more appreciated by the people than the rural free delivery routes. Tom Watson was one man who worked hard to secure this service for the farmers. This service began in 1902. There were four routes going out from the Powder Springs Post Office. The first mail carriers were G. D. Miller, John Hughey, Bud Moon, and Henry Morris.

These men carried their route by walking, riding a bicycle or driving a horse and buggy over the mudyy, unpaved roads. Among others who had later routes were Clem Chandler, Harry C. Miller, Judge Russe Wood Brannon Thomas, Carl Yarbrough, Bob Burkett, Lynn Garmor and Ronald Wolfe.

Clerks in the office included Dovie Bookout, Maude Westbrooks, Roy Tapp, Sarah Leake, Ray Hardy, Sharon Fawcett, Evelyn Elliott, Gladys Wallace, Linda Brantley and others.

Before automobiles were used, two of the carriers bought mail wagons. These wagons were enclosed and pulled by a horse. John McKenney had a red wagon and Dave Miller had a green wagon. There was a sign painted on the side that read “Mail Wagon.”

Sewell Kellett told the members of the Ruritan Club to get the houses in town numbered. Once this was done he appealed to Congressman John Davis to get city delivery.

City Mail Delivery began October 28, 1964. Robert Landers and Sewell Kellett were the first city mail carriers. When Robert retired because of a disability, Manning Hatcher took hisp lace. Since that time, Virginia Files, Earl Hammond, Anita Taylor and others have served. We have 26 mail trucks.

Following is a history of post masters and the dates they were appointed.

Lost Mountain Office: James A. Turner, July 5, 1848; Angus Johnson, February, 25, 1849; Andrew M. Faulkner, August 5, 1850; Joseph Ruff, July 10, 1851; Angus Johnson, August 26, 1852; John Moore, Jr., July 12, 1854; George M. Lewis, December 22, 1858; Henry J. Hopkins, January 25, 1860. The office was discontinued September 28, 1866 and reestablished June 30, 1869. John R. Ward, June 30, 1869; Joshua Jackson, December 2, 1872; Warren S. Watson, November 9, 1880; John C. Watson, January 14, 1884; and J. W. Arnold, 1898.

Upshaw Office (later called Macland): Isaac D. Upshaw, April 12, 1881 and A. A. Griggs, 1898.

Powder Springs Office: Charner B. Strange, April 11, 1836; Jacob Gimble, November 21, 1837; Jackson I. Kizer, February 2, 1839; Wiley J. Kiser, April 30, 1839; Andrew J. Kiser, November 2, 1865; Madison S. Kiser, February 12, 1873; Wiley J. Kiser, October 12, 1874; Henry S. Autry, April 26, 1881; Miss R. Marchman, February 13, 1883; Welburn H. Bailey, November 26, 1883; Jas. W. Smith, March 25, 1884; Welburn H. Bailey, June 26, 1885; Mrs. Kate B. Smith, April 18, 1889; John McD. Christian, March 23, 1892; Mrs. Kate Smith, April 20, 1897; Rufus A. Evatt, May 1, 1900; Belle Wright, January 13, 1903; Robert H. Buchanan, March 7, 1910; Roberta Murray, July 10, 1915; Awtrey C. Moore, May 4, 1922; J. Arthur Westbrook, January 11, 1928; Mrs. Estelle Tapp, July 1, 1935; Edgar R. Leake, August 31, 1962; Rudolph B. Kellet, September 11, 1963; Jack West, June 6, 1975; Mrs. Jackie Norton, January 8, 1981; and Clarence Nichols, February 1993.

Papa Was a Mailman

by Sarah Frances Miller

Powder Springs Messenger, 1995

This story was told to me by my uncle, the late M. J. Miller, on May 22, 1984.

Papa had a mail wagon. It had a window in the front that was hinged at the top. It could be pulled up and tied in the summer. In the winter, the window was pulled down and locked in place. There were two holes in the bottom of the window frame. This was for the lines or reins used to control the horse.

Both sides has sliding glass windows to open to deliver the mail. There was a small heater in the wagon until the mail carriers carried parcels. Then they used metal foot warmers with heated soapstone briquettes which were put in a tray in the carpet-covered metal box.

My Saturday job was to grease the four wheels and the fifth one also–the fifth wheel was really the turning axle.

Horse power was important on his twenty mile route. This was Route Number 3 from the Powder Springs Post Office. He traded horses often. He traded with the Irish horse traders who camped at the spring in the City Park. He even bought several from the Atlanta Fire Department. These horses would run if they heard a bell. George heard a bell at the New Hope Church and made a fast mile and a half to town.

Papa used three horses. Every third day, one of the horses remained at home to rest. He changed horses every day at the halfway point–his farm. The fresh horse enabled him to pick up or maintain his speed.

Rainy off days were harness repair days. He had his own repair kit–punches, brads and a hand bradding machine.

He drove his horse and buggy in the summer and the mail wagon in the winter for about 25 years.

For about five years he had a driver for his Model T Ford automobile to take him around his route. Various ones chauffeured him–Earl McKinney, Clyde Spratlin and Jake Miller.

His son, Jake, hurried off one day, sliding into mailboxes and then speeding up. Papa said, “You are going to turn us over if you don’t slow down.” Finally when they were about one and a half miles from home Papa took the spark and the throttle and held them together. So they really came in fast weaving from side to side of the road. Jake was frightened. He was afraid they would turn over.

The postman doctored his own horses. Onion tea was given for the colic. He cut up onions in a two gallon galvanized bucket, added water and boiled it about thirty minutes. He poured the tea in a long neck whisky bottle.

He put a halter on the horse and pulled the horse’s head up as high as he could get it over a rafter in the barn. Then he put the quart bottle in the horse’s mouth and rubbed his throat so he would swallow. The horse would baptize him with about half the potion.

Historic Baptist Cemetery, Powder Springs, 1840

The Baptist Cemetery was established in 1840 and is the oldest cemetery in Powder Springs. It is located downtown on the corner of Jackson Way and Pineview Drive.

The earliest marked burial is dated 1840 and is that of the infant daughter of W. Jaud Kiser, one month and 26 days. Her mother was Nancy Kiser.

According to “The History of the First Baptist Church of Powder Springs, GA” by Virginia Tapp, the Springville Baptist Church building “stood on the edge of the Baptist Cemetery on a hill just off the Old Lost Mountain Road. The lot was donated by Mr. D. R. Turner”. The First Baptist Church was originally named the Springville Baptist Church which was originally part of the Primitive Baptist Church in Powder Springs.

In the Baptist Cemetery are buried a number of the pioneer families of Powder Springs. There are Butner’s, Baggett’s, Compton’s, Goodwin’s, Hardy’s, Kiser’s, Landrum’s, Lindley’s, Ragsdale’s, Rice’s and more. Some were merchants of various trades, others were farmers, pastors, doctors and just regular town folks.

Elijah Ragsdale (1798-1858) was one of six charter members of the Springville Baptist Church. Reverend Parker M. Rice (1801-1853) was the first pastor of the Springville Baptist Church. Della Boswell Kuykendall (1875-1963) was the first telephone exchange night operator in Powder Springs for nine years.

There are several Veterans from various wars buried here, also. War of 1812 – Elijah Ragsdale (1778-1858) and James F. Blackstock, Jr. (1789-1852). War Between the States (American Civil War) – Joseph K. Moon, CSA, (1820-1870). Spanish American War – David B. Lindholm (1872-1914).World War II – Florence W. Neese (1917-1989) and Arthur Parks (1918-1953). Vietnam – Kenneth Lamar Newton (1945-2016).

The last burial was in 1979 until 2002, 2015, 2016 with one each.

There is a large open area in the Cemetery that does not have any markers that would identify graves in the area. However, the indentions in the earth appeared to indicate that there were burials here. In 2017 The Seven Springs Historical Society took on a project to have this area studied to help determine if there were actually unmarked graves in this area of the Baptist Cemetery.

The Historical Society contracted with Omega Mapping Services in December of 2017 to have this area surveyed by using ground penetrating radar. In January 2018, Len Strozier of Omega Mapping Services came out and did this survey. Several members of the Historical Society met Len at the Cemetery.

In the process he identified 135 unmarked graves, marking them with orange flags. Some of the graves were buried deeper than usual indicating much earlier burials than 1840 and could possibly be Indian Burials. Powder Springs has a history of Cherokee and Creek tribes living in the area. Numerous artifacts have also be found verifying their presence.

Len has provided the Historical Society and the Seven Springs Museum with maps and a CD with his findings. These maps mark the spots where burials are located. Once the Historical Society received these maps, Holland Supply was then contacted about ordering these markers.

The Historical Society then purchased 135 lot markers from Holland Supply. These markers are 3½ inch stainless steel discs and 10 inch zinc coated carriage bolts or pins.

In late March of 2018, several members of the Historical Society met at the Cemetery and installed these markers. The markers lie flat on the ground and will not interfere with the normal maintenance off the Cemetery. They can later be located by metal detectors.

The Seven Springs Historical Society plan to place a marker recognizing that these 135 burial sites are now identified and marked for future generations. The Society also plans to erect a sign identifying the Cemetery as the Baptist Cemetery.

Photos by Stan Kaady

The History of the Mimosa Garden Club

Powder Springs, Georgia
1940 – 2013

On April 17, 1940 all the ladies in the community were invited to organize and join a garden club. The meeting was held in the home of Mrs. Faye Lindley with twenty two ladies present.

The club was named the Co-Operative Garden Club. The first President was Mrs. B. L. Barton. The other officers elected were: Mrs. Cecil Barr, Vice President, Mrs. M. J. Miller, Secretary, and Mrs. Parks Lindley, Treasurer.

Other Charter Members were: Mrs. J. K. Brown, Mrs. W.L. Jennings, Mrs. Verna Lawler, Miss Hazel Lindley, Mrs. F. E. Norris, Mrs. K. E. Norris, Mrs. W. R. Tapp, Sr. and Mrs. J. C. Vaughn.

This may not be complete due to the original list being lost at some point.

Their pledge as gardeners was to do all in their power to take care of our trees, flowers and birds, and to watch for opportunities to make and keep our community clean and beautiful. The Club would met in the homes of the members once a month. Dues were set at ten cents a month. The members had certain requirements. Each one was to plant three mimosa trees. At every meeting, each member was to bring an arrangement of flowers. These could be a miniature not over eight inches tall, a single specimen or a tall arrangement to be judged.

In April of 1941, the Club changed its name the Mimosa Garden Club and was federated. In November of the same year, the Club was affiliated with the Garden Club of Georgia, and later the National Council of Garden Clubs, and the Marietta Educational Garden Center.

The members have kept their pledge through community and individual projects. They sponsored side walk plantings of watermelon red crepe myrtles in 1942. These grew so large that they obscured the vision of the motorist and had to be cut down later. At this time the total membership was limited to twenty five ladies. During the war years (1941 – 1945), programs and exhibits were changed to Victory Vegetable Gardens and canned food exhibits. The members donated cooking fats which they had saved. The Club received a small amount of money and red food stamps. The food stamps were given to the school cafeteria.

In 1944 Mrs. Thomas (Louise) Clonts sponsored a Junior Garden Club named the Dirt Daubers. It was not active after 1945.

After the war, the Mimosa Garden Club returned to keeping their pledge as gardeners to take care and keep the community clean and beautiful. They continued to study horticulture, flower arranging and how to help maintain the trees, flowers, herbs, birds and butterflies in the community. Many outstanding arrangements have been made by the members over the years.

In the 1950’s they sponsored a Georgia Power Cooking School. They sponsored more than eight flower shows and sent arrangements made by various members to the Cobb County Fair where they won several blue ribbons. They also sent flowers and arrangements to Rich’s Garden Center.

In 1978 Mrs. Faye Lindley inspired the Garden Club to set up a Meditation Garden at the Powder Springs City Cemetery. The ladies have continued to maintain this garden over the years.

The Club decided to landscape the Powder Springs Park. Hastings Seed Company offered their assistance in making a plan. Roses, Iris, and Magnolia Trees were planted there.

In the 1980’s they bought barrels for the downtown area of Powder Springs which they planted and maintained. They planted bulbs at the new Powder Springs Civic Center (The Ron Anderson Memorial Center).

In 1984, the Club helped with organizing the Powder Springs Beautification Committee. On December 13, 1984, there was an event commemorating the Certification of the Committee. Harold Norris was The Team Leader in this project. He was one of the charter Members of the Seven Springs Historical Society. In later years, the Powder Springs Beautification Committee changed its name to Keep Powder Springs Beautiful Association, and are currently still active.

In 1988, Mrs. Willie Mae Godfrey led the Club to establish a Memorial for the members at the Seven Springs Historical Society Museum in Powder Springs Park. Trees were planted in honor and memory of several of the members who had passed away.

In 1989, with the help of Imogene Abernathy and Bonnie Yeager the club planted an herb garden at the Seven Springs Museum.

The Garden Club also asked the Mayor to call a public meeting to establish a Powder Springs Cemetery Association to provided perpetual care. (City Cemetery located on Old Austell Road on the right). This project has been successful and supported by the community.

Through the years many ladies, individually, have made flower Gardens, Rock Gardens, Herb Gardens, day lily gardens, and a colorful cottage garden. Mrs. Martha Brown landscaped her own yard to reflect the beauty of Calloway Gardens. Imogene Abernathy planted a unique herb garden at her home. Several of the members especially worked with horticulture.

Mrs. Martha Brown and Mrs. Dot Burkett faithfully provided special flower arrangements for the Baptist and Methodist Churches for many years. Others have worked on yearbooks and scrapbooks for the Garden Club, winning many awards. During the 1990’s there were many projects undertaken by the Garden Club.

They planted flowers, trees, landscaping on the Grounds of the newly organized Powder Springs Senior Center at the Old Powder Springs Elementary School.

A Butterfly Garden was planted with flowers that would attract the Butterflies, at the Seven Springs Historical Society Museum. Stepping Stones were installed using old grind stones from the Murray Landrum grist mill that had operated in Powder Springs in the early 1900’s. These stones were donated to the Museum by Marsha Doughtery.

A golden path of flowers was planted in honor of the 1996 Olympics. These flowers were planted in 1995 so that they would be in bloom during the Olympics. Snapdragons, marigolds, dahlias, daises, roses, lilies among others that are beautiful.

The Club built Butterfly and Blue Bird House. Some were hung around town and others were sold as fundraisers.

Mrs. Patti Briel and Mrs. Betty DuPre won a state award in 1995 with the Club’s scrapbook.

As the twenty first century came, things were changing which offered new challenges for the Mimosa Garden Club. The years 2000 through 2013 were not as well documented as the earlier ones. However, they left a lot of their scrapbooks, Minutes of meetings, collection of books and various other documents to the Seven Springs Historical Society and are housed at the Museum where we welcome anyone who wishes may come and enjoy their handiwork.

The Mimosa Garden Club continued to work to carry out their Pledge to take care of our trees, flowers and birds and to watch watch for opportunities to make and keep our community clean and beautiful.

The Club continued maintaining the flower and herb gardens and trees they had planted around the Seven Springs Museum. When we experienced the flood in 2009, they helped to revitalize and care for the flowers, herbs and trees around the Museum and other areas in the community.

The Garden Club actually contributed and supported the Garden Clubs and organizations they were members of all through the many years they existed. They worked with these organizations on various projects around the Community, County and State, supporting them monetarily or by volunteering in any way that was needed.

The Garden Club also supported many charities over the years with donations, making crafts for their residences, fund raising and volunteering. Some of these included: the restoration of the Garden Center in Marietta; Open Gate Home for the abused and homeless children; Cobb County Beautiful Roadways with wild flowers on the medians; the American Cancer Society; and Milledgeville Garden Therapy Program at the State Mental Hospital.

The Club continued to increase their knowledge, enjoyment by Members going on field trips to see the many gardens and Horticulture Centers around the state and visiting the Biltmore Estates Gardens in North Carolina.

Even though the Mimosa Garden Club was disbanded in 2013, they will always be known for their many kinds of contributions and their enjoyment for the preservation of all of Nature’s Beauty. The Club, in it’s seventy three years of service, has left its Legacy in many of the trees, gardens and flowers that they had planted throughout the Community

As a member of the Garden Club of Georgia, the Mimosa Garden Club was presented with a large circular sign depicting the Garden Club of Georgia’s logo. The sign was originally erected at the parking area of the old Seven Springs Museum in the trees and flower gardens they had planted.

When the Seven Springs Museum moved to the Bodiford House, the sign was moved and hung on the back wall of the house under the screened in porch for all to enjoy when they park their cars at the Museum.

In 2017, the Seven Springs Historical Society acknowledged and Honored the Mimosa Garden Club, it’s members and charter members for their contribution to the community and the Seven Springs Historical Society and Museum with a plaque which is displayed in the Museum.

This 2018 history of the Mimosa Garden Club has been compiled from information gathered by Sarah Frances Miller, various Club documents, notes, scrapbooks and Minutes of their meetings.

Early Powder Springs Black Churches and Schools

This historical information was compiled by Sarah Frances Miller in the 70’s & 80’s and is available in our Powder Springs History binder located in the library room in the museum. You can also visit our Black History displays (pictured) and purchase a copy of “Powder Springs Has Some Deep Roots In It” – An Oral History Portrait of an African American Community by Ann McCleary, Catherine Henricks, and Stephanie Wright.

“For far as we can ascertain there have been two black Methodist churches in Powder Springs – Kite’s Chapel and Davis Chapel. Kite’s Chapel was located on what is now Butler Street, almost on the same site where Ruthie White’s house now stands. It was blown down by a wind storm around 40 years ago. The Reverend Hamilton was one of the pastors of Kite’s Chapel.

Davis Chapel was located on Macland Road near the overhead bridge next door to the home of Andy and Laura Davis. Going from Powder Springs to Macland it was on the left hand side of the road. The Reverend Morgan was one of the pastors of this church. According to the minutes of the Powder Springs City Council, May 1935, the church was ordered to discontinue holding meetings because the residents of the area objected to the noise and the disturbance. The following appeared in the minutes of the city council on May 5, 1940. “Motion passed that the black church by the Seaboard bridge be and is hereby condemned as a fire trap. Notice of the same to be posted for thirty days.”

The black Baptist church located on Brownsville Road is the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church. After the Civil War, in 1867, the blacks, in search of their own religious life, separated from the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church. They worshiped for three years under a brush arbor. The Reverend Seaborn Rucker was their first pastor. A church site was obtained and a donation of a barn was made to them by the Pleasant Hill Church. A plank church was built. Reverend Barber was there for many years in the plank church. During the pastorate of the Rev. R. H. Williams, this old building was torn down and a new structure was erected. The Rev. W. A. Bowen followed by Rev. Williams as pastor and under his leadership, heat and water were put in the building, and the building was brick veneered. Pews, pulpit furniture and two pianos were purchased. The next pastor was the Rev. J. C. Carter. It was during his pastorate that the church was completely remodeled, and the cornerstone was laid October 6, 1974. The New Hope Cemetery is adjacent to the church.

Two Broadnax brothers gave land for the Macedonia Baptist Church located on Macedonia Road. The church was founded about 1896. Early members were the Broadnax, Wyatt and Stiles families. Pastors include Rev. I. P. Ward, Rev. Alexander Penn, Rev. Calvin and presently Rev. Lennie Gunn. Annie Wolf has written a history of the church which is in its second building.

Rev. Sandy Young lived in Powder Springs. He had a barber shop in downtown Powder Springs for a long time. He and his wife, Hattie Turner, and their eighteen children raised cotton on a farm where Florence Estates begins. He served Methodist churches, Prodigal and Cavalry.

Rev. Alexander Penn served many Baptist churches in the area. He was at Mt. Zion Baptist on Brownsville Road for a long time. He served Big Bethel on Marietta Road, Sweet Home in Hiram and Macedonia in Powder Springs. He was moderator of the Friendship Association which includes New Hope Church in Powder Springs. His wife was Bunch and they had sixteen children.

A more recently established church is the black Church of God In Christ, which was located on Long Street in Powder Springs. This church was built in 1954. The building was made possible largely through the efforts of Ethel Clark. The late Bishop James J. Hensley was in charge of the dedication service on July 18, 1954. The first pastor was Elder Arthur Jones, Sr. Some of the first members were: Ethel Clark, Annie Mae Kimball, Gracie Young, Essie Clark, and Jake Marshall. Ethel Clark was the church secretary.

The first black school that anyone in the community seems to remember was a two story building that was located across the railroad about where the Happy Valley Trailer Court is now located. Students who attended the school say that it stood across from what was then the Jim Florence place. One of the long time principals was Mr. C. D. Evans. Mr. Evans’s wife was his assistant teacher. The Mizelles, the Waldons, the Weddingtons, the Holcombs, and most of the black children in the community attended this school. When this building fell into bad repair the school was moved to a new site on Brownsville Road adjacent to the New Hope Church and cemetery. Later this school became an elementary school, and the county had an arrangement with the Marietta School Board for the Powder Springs black high school students to attend Lemon Street High School in Marietta. The school by the church and the arrangement with Marietta lasted until Cobb County Schools were desegregated and all of the children attended the same schools. The black school building by the church was sold and made into a dwelling which still stands.

Some of the early teachers were S. S. Broadnax, Samuel S. Young, and James M. McAfee. They taught in the 1890’s.”

More photos from New Hope Missionary Baptist Church

Senior Citizens Remember (Part I): Loving Memories Preserved

In 1910, V. A. Lovinggood moved to Powder Springs with his bride who had left her position as stenographer with Uncle Remus Magazine in Atlanta to establish a home. Mr. Lovinggood recounts with a smile his wife’s singing ability and trips to attend the singing school which was located near Powder Springs. In addition to being a fine singer, Mr. Lovinggood remembers that his wife was the “biggest talker in the world.” In 1918 the couple purchased sixty acres of farmland near Powder Springs for $3,600, reportedly the highest price ever paid for land in the area. (A half-acre parcel of the same land recently sold for $3,500.) With his farm prospering, Mr. Lovinggood was presented the opportunity to purchase a store in Powder Springs. Reluctantly at first, Mr. Lovinggood, with the help of his father and his brother Albert, bought the store. Gradually, the store occupied greater and greater attention and Mr. Lovinggood operated it actively until 1970.

Always a farmer, Mr. Lovinggood raised much of the produce and livestock that maintained both his table and his storeroom. His memories include some of the hardest times in this country’s history and he tells of feeding people who came to him crying for bread during the Depression. At one point in 1930, cotton, which had been the major money crop of this and many other farming communities throughout the South, sold for 5 cents per pound. Mr. Lovinggood remembers speculating on some 12-14 bales at 5 cents per pound and later selling the cotton to a broker for 10 cents per pound. High finance was very limited for merchants during this time.

Such crops as peaches and tomatoes were attempted after the destruction of cotton by the boll weevil. Although relatively unsuccessful, the attempts did lead to such enterprises as the cultivation of sorghum and the resulting grinding and preparation of syrup. Describing himself as “born and raised in a syrup mill”, Mr. Lovinggood and his family operated a sorghum mill which handled the needs of farmers from many miles around. Even a relatively successful enterprise like the sorghum mill was limited by modern standards. The syrup, ground by a mule-drawn mill and boiled in huge open vats to thicken the sweet juice, sold to Atlanta wholesale distributors for only 35 cents per gallon. Mr. Lovinggood also sold the syrup in his store.

But perhaps Mr. Lovinggood’s most vivid memories are of the cotton gins, both the Farmer’s Co-op and McTyre’s, which were in major enterprises in the community, rivaled only by the railroad section crews in economic importance. When the cotton crop was ready for ginning, Mr. Lovinggood would open his store at 1:00 A.M. in order to serve the farmers who would line up their wagons, loaded with as much as 40 bales of cotton, along the main street of Powder Springs. He remembers the day that an electrical short at one gin affected the power source at the other gin and resulted in a brace of mules owned by a Mr. Wade to be electrocuted as they waited to deposit their load of cotton.

As a store owner in Powder Springs for almost 50 years, Mr. Lovinggood recalls much of the commercial activity of the town. He remembers the sound of anvils ringing in the early morning air from the three blacksmith shops that thrived before the automobile became common. As a young merchant on a trip to Atlanta, he describes the deserted streets surrounding the Henry Grady monument that still stands on Marietta Street near Five Points; there were no cars in sight and he observed a grand total of eleven motor vehicles on the streets of Atlanta that day. The hard times of the 20’s and 30’s meant people could not pay for their basic needs. Mr. Lovinggood remembers one family who did pay him $10.35 for a crate of eggs and a bushel of potatoes — he got the check 35 years after the merchandise was sold. He sold 25 lbs. of flour for 75 cents back then and bought 100 cases of a new but very popular product from a broker in Atlanta at 85 cents per case. Coke has gotten more popular, and more expensive since then.

Mr. Lovinggood remembers, perhaps not a better time, but certainly a time from which modern society can learn much. He has preserved the memories of that time in carefully maintained records: photographs, the ledger books from his store, even the letters written to him by his second wife prior to their marriage. He intends to take those letters with him to his grave. Thankfully, he has taken the time to share his memories and insights with us.

Thank you Mr. Lovinggood for the loving memories.

– Article from the Powder Springs Enterprise, Vol. 1, 1983

Preserving Local History

This article was written by the Seven Springs Historical Society founder, Miss Sarah Frances Miller and originally featured in the Powder Springs Enterprise, 1983.

A backward look at the history of Powder Springs is full of pleasant memories. We are now experiencing a period of change from a farm community, self-sufficient and isolated, to a bedroom community, inexplicably tied to our metropolitan neighbor in the east. We have worked with plows; now we work with planes.

Even in a period of transition, however, it is possible, perhaps even essential, to protect and preserve our past while living in a modern world.

Here in Powder Springs, we have saved the evidence of our past: farm and blacksmith tools, spinning wheels, show lasts and quilts are only a few of the objects to historical interest to young and old alike.

Yes, the history has been preserved. The next step is to make it available. In commemoration of the Cobb County Sesquitenniel, let’s get together to give ourselves a community anniversary gift–a town museum. I say to the officials of Powder Springs, give us the building, the history is already here.