An Old Home Place with Memories
by Sara Francis Miller
Powder Springs Messenger, April 1995
Near the right-of-way for the turnoff on Powder Springs Marietta Road to Cater Road sits a small yellow weather boarded house. It sits on a hill with a holly tree on the left. This is an old log farm house with two bedrooms and a kitchen. Another room was added on the house after the Civil War.
Here Jonathan Lindley grew wheat, cotton, corn and vegetables for his wife, Asenath and their five children. Nearby neighbors: the Selmans, Hunters and Pettys were friends. Jonathan Lindley like many others went to fight in the Civil War. Unfortunately he list his life in the battle. So his brave wife was left to raise the family. She had determination to make a go of it-even walked to Marietta with two other women to get a peck of meal.
During the war the Yankee soldiers shot in to the front wall of the cabin. The shrapnel splintered the log. A splinter closed the eye of the baby Asenath (Thomas Newell Lindley) was rocking. That very log is now in the museum in the park.
The house has had many owners: Tom Lindley, Fannie Turner, T.H. Scruggs, Mr. Glen Thrasher, Mr. I.L. Bowling and Nash Hovers who worked at Coats and Clark Thread Mill. The last tenants were a granddaughter of Nash Hovers; Angela and her husband Steve Tessereau. They have built a new house on Carter Road. Each family member has the vivid memories of living through wars and depressions and making ends meet regardless of good and poor crop years, stubborn mules, sickness and death.
Moving this historic house will help to make an easier turn for the motorist who may not be aware of the little log house with a shed room added to the back of the house. Hold on to the memories of happy carefree barefoot summers and wading in nearby Noses Creek and finding Indian arrowheads and spent Federal Army bullets.
The Powder Springs Elementary School will celebrate its 30th anniversary in October at this location on Grady Grier Drive.
Douglas Brice, Neighbor Staff Writer, August 11, 1988
For 15 years Grady Grier braved the elements as a school crossing guard, helping the children of Powder Springs and Milford arrive safely at school and home again.
In recognition of his service to the people of Powder Springs, the Powder Springs City Council announced last week that the new street leading to the new Powder Springs Elementary School from Old Austell Road will be named Grady Grier Drive in his honor.
“I think that’s the most appropriate to name the street after him,” said Murray Barber, assistant superintendent for elementary operations for the Cobb County Public Schools.
Barber was principal of Tapp Middle School from 1975-1981, while Grier served as crossing guard. He knew Grier for almost 30 years as a fellow member of the First Baptist Church of Powder Springs before Grier’s death in 1985.
“He was a real friend to the students,” said Barber. “The kids loved him.”
Grier was often on hand at student orientations, even though not required, directing traffic and making himself available to meet parents.
Aaron Grady Grier, known by his friends simply as Grady, died March 22, 1985, at the age of 89. He was married 58 years to Maggie Hays Grier, who died in 1975, and had two sons, Billy and Herbert.
Originally from Cherokee County, Grier worked 35 years at the old Whittier Mills in Atlanta. They moved to Powder Springs in 1956.
Grier drove a school bus for three years in Powder Springs and served as a school crossing guard from April 1969 to 1976 at Milford Elementary School then at Tapp Middle School from 1976 until shortly before his death.
Grier was known as a man who loved people and was always actively involved with his church, the school and with the job of living in general, said Barber. He had a strong faith in God and was always kind and thoughtful.
“He was a person who encouraged others,” said Barber. “One of his favorite pastimes was to call people on the telephone on his or her birthday and, after a brief hello, he played happy birthday to them on the harmonica.”
“Grady Grier’s faith was an inspiration to many,” said Barber.
“He just enjoyed life,” said daughter-in-law Ruth Grier.
Grier joined the First Baptist Church of Powder Springs in the late 1950’s, taught Sunday school, sang in the choir, was a deacon and was involved with the senior citizens’ group.
The Rev. Michael Woods of First Baptist, who came to Powder Springs in 1981, remembers him as a man who seemed much younger than his age, he said. In fact, he practiced in the choir the Friday before he died.
“I never knew Grady to say anything ill about anybody,” said Woods. “He was a man of integrity.
Although Grier seldom discussed his faith in God, “He’s one who just liked (his faith) to the fullest,” said Woods. “I never did see him depressed.
Woods considers it appropriate they named a street next to a school after him, he said.
Grier worked at Tapp until March 1984, when he left for medical reasons, but returned that fall. He stayed until November 1984. He died the following March.
At the time of his death in 1985, he also had two daughters-in-law, Ruth and Nellie Ruth, four grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild. He had one surviving sister, Lena Hill of Acworth.
A search began in late 2017 for more information on a curious resident of the Methodist cemetery in Powder Springs, GA. On a mid-sized tombstone topped with a carving of a parachuter reads:
Reo Flock Russell
June 19, 1909
Nov 2, 1936
Daredevil Sister of the Fabulous Flock Family
This grave, on the far right side of the cemetery, sits alone as if the family anticipated burying more members alongside Reo. More interesting still is the fact that, judging by the last name of Russell, Reo was apparently married, but still buried alone in a cemetery almost a hundred miles from her hometown of Fort Payne, Alabama. Why? Hearsay from the community agrees that Reo, who was a barnstormer—trick airplane performer—loved the landscape of Powder Springs from the air, and wanted to be buried in the small Western Georgia town. One may think she died performing, as she was only 27 at the time of her death, however, reports are that she suffered from tuberculosis. Apart from a single page on the Encyclopedia of Alabama website*, there isn’t much information on Reo Flock herself, but plenty on her famous brothers, who were early NASCAR racers. In fact, the name “Reo” derived from the REO Motor Car Company. There is a full biography of her family on the EoA website** as well, along with the only known photo of Reo, in which she is hanging from a (grounded) airplane.
Also worthy of mention is Reo’s sister, Ethel Flock, who was included in the book NASCAR: The Complete History by Greg Fielden. On page 19 it states: “A few female drivers, including Sara Christian, Louise Smith, and Ethel Flock, competed alongside with the fellows.” Later, on page 42, there is a captioned photo of Ethel with one of her brothers, and it reads, “Fonty Flock poses with his sister, race car driver Ethel Flock Mobley, before the Oct. 23 Atlanta race. Mobley drove in two Strictly Stock events in ’49, including the Daytona Beach race that has three female drivers in the lineup. Ethel was the wife of Mobley, who fielded modified cars for Tim Flock.” The Encyclopedia of Alabama page related that Ethel moved from women-only races to regular competitions, and even beat two of her brothers in a single race! Her career was short-lived, however, as—according to the EoA—she retired to focus on her family life.
Women in the early to mid-20th century were often regulated to a barely a mention in history, as my sleuthing has proved. In my quest to find more information on the intriguing Reo, I attempted to contact living family members who could vouch for the supposed information, and perhaps offer a more personal account of her life for the records at the Powder Springs Historical Society. Unfortunately, I did not get a response as yet, but have found that a great-niece, Carrie Flock, is a retired boxer. Apparently the Flocks are still producing fierce females!
Powder Springs Methodist Cemetery
3975-4043 Old Austell Road
Powder Springs, GA 30127
HISTORIC METHODIST CEMETERY
POWDER SPRINGS, GEORGIA
The Methodist Cemetery was established in 1847 and is located on the east side of Old Austell Road approximately one mile from historic downtown Powder Springs. It is sometimes referred to as the “old cemetery” and often confused with the neighboring cemeteries across the street – Powder Springs City Cemetery and the Powder Springs Memorial Gardens Cemetery.
The earliest marked burial is dated 1847 and is that of Samuel Cobb Scott born 1776. Samuel was a Captain in the war of 1812 from Abbeville, S.C. He and his wife Jane (who died 1866) are buried at the rear of the cemetery near the wood line that separates the cemetery from the shopping center. Their graves are sunken and marked with field stones. There are also some unmarked graves.
The first Methodist Church was a log cabin that was located on the south side of the present cemetery. The land was owned by Elisha Lindley (1816-1876) and Jane Scott Lindley (1813-1885), who were Charter members of the Methodist Church. They gave this land for both the “Church Building” and the “Methodist Cemetery”. This information was gathered by Sarah Frances Miller for a ‘History of The Powder Springs Methodist Church’ in the 1970’s and is in “A Brief History of the Powder Springs First United Methodist Church” written by Richard T. Huber, Sr., published in 2010.
The Church was officially organized in 1844 and a frame building was constructed on the lot where the present church sets. This land was given by Johnathan Lindley, Jr. (1808-1868), also a charter member.
In the Methodist Cemetery are buried a number of the early families of Powder Springs. These are Baggett’s, Butner’s, Camp’s, DuPre(e)’s, Florence’s, Furr’s, Lindley’s, Landrum’s, Miller’s, Murray’s, McEachern’s, Nestlehutt’s, Ragsdale’s, Rice’s, and Stovall’s. These included merchants of various trades, businessmen, farmers, mayors, and doctors.
There are graves at the very back of the cemetery in the woods that are said to be those of slaves. At one time they were marked with field stones.
Elisha Hamilton Lindley (1816-1876) and Jane Scott Lindley (1813-1885), charter members of the Methodist Church; Johnathan Lindley, Jr. (1808-1868) and Uriah Mathews (1826-1911) Powder Springs first Undertaker in 1850.
Mayor’s of Powder Springs: W. W. Scott (1845-1930); J. H. Lewis (1876- 1946): Frank Furr (1922-1955); Robert Hubert Lindley (1888-1965) and Harry Miller (1896-1975). These are just a few of the Mayors who may be buried in this cemetery.
George David Miller (1867-1955) was one of the first rural male carriers for Powder Springs in the early 1900’s and a City Councilman. The buggy he used to deliver the mail is on display at the Seven Springs Museum. Harry Miller (1896-1975) delivered mail from 1918-1928 who’s route included delivering to the A & M School in Macland (McEachern Schools). Ezma D. Lindley (1879-1950) was Postmaster 1923-1928. Roberta Murray (1888- 1972) was a Postmistress 1915-1922 and known as the first historian of Powder Springs.
Doctor’s: J. D. Middlebrooks (1861-1938) and a City Councilman in the early 1900’s.; J. S. Vaughan (1862-1923) and a City Councilman in the early 1900’s. Robert Rootes Murray (1836-1909), Confederate Army Surgeon and father of Roberta Murray (1888-1972); and William Edgar Butner (1868-1927).
T. N. Lindley (1858-1937) was Marshal in 1901. Thomas A. Parks Lindley (1849-1916) was Marshal in 1900 and 1906. Dotson A. Bennett (1892-1943) was Marshal and night watchman in 1934.
T. N. (Thomas Newell Lindley) (1858-1937) became Undertaker and owner of the funeral home in 1899 when Uriah Matthews sold the business to him. Mr. Lindley had a store and bookstore with a casket room on the back of this business in downtown. At his death, his grandson Pick Lindley took over the funeral home business.
Seaborn Epperson (S.E.) Smith (1871-1940) was the depot agent for the Southern Railway Depot. In 1923 he was also the President of the Bank of Powder Springs. He has a “Woodman of the World” marker. John L. Calloway (1865-1888) and Lindley Murray (1869-1889) both worked for the East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia Railroad. Both men were crushed between railway cars in accidents and killed.
John A. Lewis (1853-1926) owned one of the cotton gins in town and built the two story brick building downtown around 1900, that is referred to as The Lewis Building.
William LaFayette Florence (1873-1949) wife Agnes Lindley (1875-1927) His first job was on the East Tennessee, Virginia And Georgia Railroad as a Conductor. Mr. Florence also was the owner of W. L. Florence Construction Company. In 1941, he and his company graded, created and built Rickenbacker Air Field and Highway 41 from Marietta to Atlanta. In 1942 this airfield then became part of the Marietta Aircraft Plant which was Bell Aircraft and better known as the “Bell Bomber Plant”. The air field was later shared by Bell’s successor Lockheed-Martin and Dobbins Air Force Base and the Naval Air Station of Atlanta. His company also built many of the access roads for the plant as well as the railroad underpass. Mr. Florence was also a farmer in Powder Springs where he raised various crops and cattle. Florence Road was named for him and his farm which was where the farm was located.
Francis C. House (1825-1883) was member of Atlanta City Council but resigned in April of 1861 to join the Confederate Army. A few years after the war, Mr. House moved to Powder Springs where he purchased a lot with two buildings at the back of the property in downtown Powder Springs. The two existing building were originally used as a Wells Fargo Way Station, stables and blacksmith shops as early the 1830’s. Mr. House then built the front part of the building facing Marietta Street which he used for his carpentry business. His sons continued to use the back parts as blacksmith’s shops. This is the current Country Store building.
J. B. McCutcheons (1906-1973) was Umpire for Powder Springs Baseball Team in the 1920’s and 1930’s. Ralph Linton “Len” Spratlin (1925 2015) member of the Powder Springs Baseball Team in1947 and 1948. Walter McElreath (1867-1951) was the founder of the Atlanta Historical Society and donated two million dollars to the Society. Mr. McElreath was admitted to the Bar in Marietta but lived and practiced law in Atlanta. He was also a member of the Georgia General Assembly 1909-1912.
On the far right side of the cemetery is a grave that sits alone. The marker is a mid-sized tombstone topped with a carving of a parachute that reads: Reo Flock Russell, June 19, 1909 – Nov 2, 1936. Reo Flock was a ‘barnstormer’ during the 1920’s and 1930’s. She was a trick airplane performer, stunt parachutist, as well as an expert Skeet Shooter. Reo loved the landscape of Powder Springs from the air, which was part of the flight pattern for airplanes at that time. It is said that this is the reason Reo wanted to be buried here.
Sarah Frances Miller (1918-2002) was a Powder Springs Historian whose family were long time residences of the Powder Springs community. She was an educator for over 35 years in Cobb County; a charter member and President of the Seven Springs Historical Society; the Historian of the Mimosa Garden Club; one of the historians of the First Baptist Church and charter member of and Co-Secretary and Treasurer of the Powder Springs Senior Center. Miss Miller was the driving force behind the creation of the Seven Springs Museum where she served as President and curator for many years. She also co-authored the cookbook “Seven Springs Sampler” which is a history of Powder Springs with drawings of some the older homes along with recipes plus information about herbs. Miss Miller was also named the South Cobb Citizen of the Year on May 21, 1992 by the Austell/South Cobb Rotary Club and the South Cobb Division of the Cobb County Chamber of Commerce. She received an award/statue of a bronze Eagle on an American Flag.
There are also numerous Veterans from various wars buried here. These are only a few of those Veterans. A ‘Thank You’ always to all our Veterans no matter when or how they served their country.
War of 1812 – Samuel Cobb Scott (1776-1847).
War Between the States (American Civil War) – Elisha H. Lindley (1816-1876) and his son William R. Lindley (1840-1863). They both served in the same Company in the Confederate Army. William was killed in battle on 11-29-1863 and his father brought his body back home for final burial. William J. Manning (1843-1915); Elijah N. Ragsdale (1814-1909); Bellington Sanders Florence (1829-1887); and William Y. Stovall (1824-1900). James Rice (1810-1889) enlisted in 1863 at Powder Springs.
World War I – George M. Furr (1891-1980); Grady H. Furr (1897-1976); Robert Hubert Lindley (1888-1965); John R. Middlebrooks (1889 1921). Thomas J. McDonald (1887-1960); John Hansel Baggett, Jr. (1897-1977); William R. Bennett (1890-1948) medic: Luke T. Mizell (1878 1938) Coast Guard (1899-1903) served in the Philippines in 1900.
World War II – Milton Bowden (1920-1981); Robert Murray Middlebrooks Turner (1917-1997); Billy Dean Roper (1927-1981); Robert P. Boyd (1910-1979)
There are memorial markers throughout the cemetery honoring the lives and families of those buried here in their final resting place.
The Methodist Cemetery has approximately 900 graves. There is still room for many other graves, even today in 2018.
All those buried here have left our community a better place just by choosing to settle and living their lives here.
Papa was George David Miller, 1867-1955
Grandfather to Sara Frances Miller
A buggy that he used to deliver the mail is on display at the Seven Springs Museum
Early Postal Service Established in Mid-1800’s
by Sara Frances Miller
Powder Springs Messenger, April 1995
Letters were a way of communicating before the telephone. Post offices were established in each little community for the convenience of the people. We had post offices at Lost Mountain, Upshaw, Brownsville, Moon Station, Storey’s Store and Powder Springs.
Myrtle Kilgore says that there was a post office at Brownsville because she remembers hearing her mother talk about it. The mail came twice a week and they received a paper that was published twice a week.
Myrtle says she thinks the post office was in the old store which is no longer standing. The Brownsville post office was established on March 21, 1860, and discontinued February 28, 1906.
Moon Station was established September 6, 1895 and discontinued November 14, 1902. The post master was Mary E. Rakeshaw.
The Springville (now Powder Springs) post office was established April 11, 1836. An early post office in Powder Springs was in the lobby of the Lindley House Hotel. The office was moved across the street to a small wooden building on the corner where the Pat Mell hardware store is now located.
From there it moved to the spot where Taylor’s Upholstering Company was located in 1964. In 1915, Dave Miller built a marble front building on the north side of Marietta Street for the post office.
In August 1964, the post office was moved to a new building which J. B. McTyre built to lease to the government. This building was built on Pine View Drive.
The Untied States government built a $368,000 facility on Old Austell Road in October 1976. This office is more than five times as large as the old post office on Pine View Drive.
No government service has been more appreciated by the people than the rural free delivery routes. Tom Watson was one man who worked hard to secure this service for the farmers. This service began in 1902. There were four routes going out from the Powder Springs Post Office. The first mail carriers were G. D. Miller, John Hughey, Bud Moon, and Henry Morris.
These men carried their route by walking, riding a bicycle or driving a horse and buggy over the mudyy, unpaved roads. Among others who had later routes were Clem Chandler, Harry C. Miller, Judge Russe Wood Brannon Thomas, Carl Yarbrough, Bob Burkett, Lynn Garmor and Ronald Wolfe.
Clerks in the office included Dovie Bookout, Maude Westbrooks, Roy Tapp, Sarah Leake, Ray Hardy, Sharon Fawcett, Evelyn Elliott, Gladys Wallace, Linda Brantley and others.
Before automobiles were used, two of the carriers bought mail wagons. These wagons were enclosed and pulled by a horse. John McKenney had a red wagon and Dave Miller had a green wagon. There was a sign painted on the side that read “Mail Wagon.”
Sewell Kellett told the members of the Ruritan Club to get the houses in town numbered. Once this was done he appealed to Congressman John Davis to get city delivery.
City Mail Delivery began October 28, 1964. Robert Landers and Sewell Kellett were the first city mail carriers. When Robert retired because of a disability, Manning Hatcher took hisp lace. Since that time, Virginia Files, Earl Hammond, Anita Taylor and others have served. We have 26 mail trucks.
Following is a history of post masters and the dates they were appointed.
Lost Mountain Office: James A. Turner, July 5, 1848; Angus Johnson, February, 25, 1849; Andrew M. Faulkner, August 5, 1850; Joseph Ruff, July 10, 1851; Angus Johnson, August 26, 1852; John Moore, Jr., July 12, 1854; George M. Lewis, December 22, 1858; Henry J. Hopkins, January 25, 1860. The office was discontinued September 28, 1866 and reestablished June 30, 1869. John R. Ward, June 30, 1869; Joshua Jackson, December 2, 1872; Warren S. Watson, November 9, 1880; John C. Watson, January 14, 1884; and J. W. Arnold, 1898.
Upshaw Office (later called Macland): Isaac D. Upshaw, April 12, 1881 and A. A. Griggs, 1898.
Powder Springs Office: Charner B. Strange, April 11, 1836; Jacob Gimble, November 21, 1837; Jackson I. Kizer, February 2, 1839; Wiley J. Kiser, April 30, 1839; Andrew J. Kiser, November 2, 1865; Madison S. Kiser, February 12, 1873; Wiley J. Kiser, October 12, 1874; Henry S. Autry, April 26, 1881; Miss R. Marchman, February 13, 1883; Welburn H. Bailey, November 26, 1883; Jas. W. Smith, March 25, 1884; Welburn H. Bailey, June 26, 1885; Mrs. Kate B. Smith, April 18, 1889; John McD. Christian, March 23, 1892; Mrs. Kate Smith, April 20, 1897; Rufus A. Evatt, May 1, 1900; Belle Wright, January 13, 1903; Robert H. Buchanan, March 7, 1910; Roberta Murray, July 10, 1915; Awtrey C. Moore, May 4, 1922; J. Arthur Westbrook, January 11, 1928; Mrs. Estelle Tapp, July 1, 1935; Edgar R. Leake, August 31, 1962; Rudolph B. Kellet, September 11, 1963; Jack West, June 6, 1975; Mrs. Jackie Norton, January 8, 1981; and Clarence Nichols, February 1993.
Papa Was a Mailman
by Sarah Frances Miller
Powder Springs Messenger, 1995
This story was told to me by my uncle, the late M. J. Miller, on May 22, 1984.
Papa had a mail wagon. It had a window in the front that was hinged at the top. It could be pulled up and tied in the summer. In the winter, the window was pulled down and locked in place. There were two holes in the bottom of the window frame. This was for the lines or reins used to control the horse.
Both sides has sliding glass windows to open to deliver the mail. There was a small heater in the wagon until the mail carriers carried parcels. Then they used metal foot warmers with heated soapstone briquettes which were put in a tray in the carpet-covered metal box.
My Saturday job was to grease the four wheels and the fifth one also–the fifth wheel was really the turning axle.
Horse power was important on his twenty mile route. This was Route Number 3 from the Powder Springs Post Office. He traded horses often. He traded with the Irish horse traders who camped at the spring in the City Park. He even bought several from the Atlanta Fire Department. These horses would run if they heard a bell. George heard a bell at the New Hope Church and made a fast mile and a half to town.
Papa used three horses. Every third day, one of the horses remained at home to rest. He changed horses every day at the halfway point–his farm. The fresh horse enabled him to pick up or maintain his speed.
Rainy off days were harness repair days. He had his own repair kit–punches, brads and a hand bradding machine.
He drove his horse and buggy in the summer and the mail wagon in the winter for about 25 years.
For about five years he had a driver for his Model T Ford automobile to take him around his route. Various ones chauffeured him–Earl McKinney, Clyde Spratlin and Jake Miller.
His son, Jake, hurried off one day, sliding into mailboxes and then speeding up. Papa said, “You are going to turn us over if you don’t slow down.” Finally when they were about one and a half miles from home Papa took the spark and the throttle and held them together. So they really came in fast weaving from side to side of the road. Jake was frightened. He was afraid they would turn over.
The postman doctored his own horses. Onion tea was given for the colic. He cut up onions in a two gallon galvanized bucket, added water and boiled it about thirty minutes. He poured the tea in a long neck whisky bottle.
He put a halter on the horse and pulled the horse’s head up as high as he could get it over a rafter in the barn. Then he put the quart bottle in the horse’s mouth and rubbed his throat so he would swallow. The horse would baptize him with about half the potion.
PUSH RODS AUTO CLUB
1956 – 1965
The club was organized in the summer of 1956 after a meeting of about eight local teenagers at the Hunter Tire Company in Austell, Georgia. Charles Furr was the first president of the club. It was active until about 1965.
The club had their shop in a garage located in the middle of downtown Powder Springs in a building on main (Marietta) street between the old telephone exchange (now a courtyard) and Lovinggood’s Grocery Store. Here the club met and worked on their own cars, each other’s cars and built race cars for drag racing. These cars were very active on the drag racing scene during those years, winning many trophies.
Members during this time included; Earl Abernathy, Aubrey Brady, Ray Caldwell, Guy Camp, George Eubanks, Gary Eubanks, Tom Ellerbee, Charles Furr, Jim Gunnell, Raymond Gunnell, Sammy Hardy, A.C. Hunter, Donald Hunter, Ed Hunter, Russell Hunter, Jack Lane, Jimmy Lindley, Virgil (V.A.) Lovinggodd, Jr., Bennie Meadows, James Meadows, Jimmy Meadows, Butch Mize, James Moss, Raymond Moss, Virgil Purvis, Grady Roberts, Wayne Roberts, Charles Scott and Johnny Turner.
On October 3, 2000, Push Rods held their Second Annual Union and Car Show at the Threadmill Mall in Austell in which they honored the founding members, recognizing the ones who were still living. These men were presented with a plaque commemorating the occasion and honoring their part in starting and making Push Rods what it is today. Founding Member, James Moss has donated his plaque and original jacket to the Seven Springs Historical Society and is on display at the Seven Springs Museum.
1967 – PRESENT
The club was re-organized in 1967 and continues to meet monthly on the first Tuesday evening of each month.
According to an article in the Marietta Daily Journal dated in October of 1967, the young teenage boys of Powder Springs did not have a home or place to meet to enjoy their love of cars, but were a loosely knit band of high-speed drivers. They however, did call themselves “Push Rods ‘67”. with the help of the Powder Springs Police Department and Fire Department, local ministers and businessmen, this group of teenagers began a new Push Rods Club. With this help and guidance, the Push Rods Club was able to find a place to gather and work on their cars.
The business community helped them secure and remodel an old garage with high ceilings on main (Marietta) Street in downtown Powder Springs. They now spent as much time in this old garage street, working on their cars, talking about them and how much they love and enjoyed driving them.
The original Push Rods of 1957 gave them the old Push Rods sign and a ‘rail job’ with an engine which would be the club’s new Hot Rod and racing entry. This garage, which they now rented, was available to them 24 hours a day. The club then became a non-profit corporation.
The club planned fund raising events to buy jackets and front bumper tags with the Push Rod emblem for their members.
Some of the early members were: James McTyre, Tony Dudley (VP), Larry Croker, Greg Wehunt, Richard Mellichamp, Wendell Brumbelow, Ricky Shiflett, Roger Puckett, Tim Crawly, Gary Huggins and Terry Cochran. Early advisors for the club were: David Hilton, Powder Springs Fire Chief and Captain Larry Barkwell of the Powder Springs Police Department along with a minister and an attorney.
The club has won several racing trophies over the years.
In 1978, the Push Rod’s Garage was used as part of a movie staring Tim Conway, “They Went Thataway and Thataway” The front of the building was destroyed as part of the scene where they ran/crashed a car into the building. Afterwards, they repaired the building. Powder Springs Push Rods continues to be totally non-profit today.
Proceeds are used to provide assistance to those in OUR community and Calvary Children’s Home, Bullock and Caring Hands. The club holds various events and car shows throughout the year that help fund these charities.
The Push Rod Members still enjoy working on their cars, talking about them, showing them off and talking to anyone else who enjoys automobiles as well as they do. Even though the members of the club may have changed over the years, here in 2018, they are still an active part of our community.
SPRINGVILLE LODGE #153
OF FREE AND ACCEPTED MASONS
POWDER SPRINGS, GEORGIA
The Springville Lodge #153 of Free and Accepted Masons was established in 1848. Although the original charter for the town of Springville was repealed in 1851 then re-chartered as Powder Springs in 1859, the Springville Lodge has maintained its original name.
The first Master of the Lodge was N. M. Calder in 1851.
From 1872 until 1915 the home of the Springville Lodge was in the upper level of the new Methodist Church on Marietta Street. It was only with the assistance of the Springville Lodge that the Methodist were able to construct a new church building after the original was destroyed during the Civil War. In the early 1900’s Congress enacted legislation authorizing payment for damages to the churches. At this time the joint ownership between the Masonic Lodge and the Methodist Church was dissolved. The Church was then able to purchase the equity in the property then held by the Masons.
The Masons in turn purchased a building located at 4434 Marietta Street downtown, from Mr. J. A. Lewis. This building remained their home until 1966.
In 1966 the Masons moved into their present location on Hwy 278 (Austell-Powder Springs Road) in Powder Springs. The Grand Master was Paul H. Ponder and Lodge Master was Raymond L. Ward, Jr.
Some of the Masons have served more than one term, consecutive or various years, as Master of the Lodge. George W. Lane (1841-1914) was one such Mason. He served twelve terms over the years of 1884 through 1914.
Many other Masons have served in other capacities of the Lodge over the years. Some of the members have celebrated fifty or more years as Mason’s. In 1998, 50 year awards were presented to Samual Camp, Thomas H. McCollum, Junior Deacan, and Michael Long.
Through the years, the Lodge has held various fund raisers to help those in need whether in the community or outside the community. They have awarded scholarship money, fed the homeless, helped individuals and families get back on their feet – just to name a few.
The Springville Lodge continues to be an active part of the community even in 2018. They have regular Communication twice a month, meeting on the second and fourth Tuesday.
The Baptist Cemetery was established in 1840 and is the oldest cemetery in Powder Springs. It is located downtown on the corner of Jackson Way and Pineview Drive.
The earliest marked burial is dated 1840 and is that of the infant daughter of W. Jaud Kiser, one month and 26 days. Her mother was Nancy Kiser.
According to “The History of the First Baptist Church of Powder Springs, GA” by Virginia Tapp, the Springville Baptist Church building “stood on the edge of the Baptist Cemetery on a hill just off the Old Lost Mountain Road. The lot was donated by Mr. D. R. Turner”. The First Baptist Church was originally named the Springville Baptist Church which was originally part of the Primitive Baptist Church in Powder Springs.
In the Baptist Cemetery are buried a number of the pioneer families of Powder Springs. There are Butner’s, Baggett’s, Compton’s, Goodwin’s, Hardy’s, Kiser’s, Landrum’s, Lindley’s, Ragsdale’s, Rice’s and more. Some were merchants of various trades, others were farmers, pastors, doctors and just regular town folks.
Elijah Ragsdale (1798-1858) was one of six charter members of the Springville Baptist Church. Reverend Parker M. Rice (1801-1853) was the first pastor of the Springville Baptist Church. Della Boswell Kuykendall (1875-1963) was the first telephone exchange night operator in Powder Springs for nine years.
There are several Veterans from various wars buried here, also. War of 1812 – Elijah Ragsdale (1778-1858) and James F. Blackstock, Jr. (1789-1852). War Between the States (American Civil War) – Joseph K. Moon, CSA, (1820-1870). Spanish American War – David B. Lindholm (1872-1914).World War II – Florence W. Neese (1917-1989) and Arthur Parks (1918-1953). Vietnam – Kenneth Lamar Newton (1945-2016).
The last burial was in 1979 until 2002, 2015, 2016 with one each.
There is a large open area in the Cemetery that does not have any markers that would identify graves in the area. However, the indentions in the earth appeared to indicate that there were burials here. In 2017 The Seven Springs Historical Society took on a project to have this area studied to help determine if there were actually unmarked graves in this area of the Baptist Cemetery.
The Historical Society contracted with Omega Mapping Services in December of 2017 to have this area surveyed by using ground penetrating radar. In January 2018, Len Strozier of Omega Mapping Services came out and did this survey. Several members of the Historical Society met Len at the Cemetery.
In the process he identified 135 unmarked graves, marking them with orange flags. Some of the graves were buried deeper than usual indicating much earlier burials than 1840 and could possibly be Indian Burials. Powder Springs has a history of Cherokee and Creek tribes living in the area. Numerous artifacts have also be found verifying their presence.
Len has provided the Historical Society and the Seven Springs Museum with maps and a CD with his findings. These maps mark the spots where burials are located. Once the Historical Society received these maps, Holland Supply was then contacted about ordering these markers.
The Historical Society then purchased 135 lot markers from Holland Supply. These markers are 3½ inch stainless steel discs and 10 inch zinc coated carriage bolts or pins.
In late March of 2018, several members of the Historical Society met at the Cemetery and installed these markers. The markers lie flat on the ground and will not interfere with the normal maintenance off the Cemetery. They can later be located by metal detectors.
The Seven Springs Historical Society plan to place a marker recognizing that these 135 burial sites are now identified and marked for future generations. The Society also plans to erect a sign identifying the Cemetery as the Baptist Cemetery.
Photos by Stan Kaady
Powder Springs, Georgia
1940 – 2013
On April 17, 1940 all the ladies in the community were invited to organize and join a garden club. The meeting was held in the home of Mrs. Faye Lindley with twenty two ladies present.
The club was named the Co-Operative Garden Club. The first President was Mrs. B. L. Barton. The other officers elected were: Mrs. Cecil Barr, Vice President, Mrs. M. J. Miller, Secretary, and Mrs. Parks Lindley, Treasurer.
Other Charter Members were: Mrs. J. K. Brown, Mrs. W.L. Jennings, Mrs. Verna Lawler, Miss Hazel Lindley, Mrs. F. E. Norris, Mrs. K. E. Norris, Mrs. W. R. Tapp, Sr. and Mrs. J. C. Vaughn.
This may not be complete due to the original list being lost at some point.
Their pledge as gardeners was to do all in their power to take care of our trees, flowers and birds, and to watch for opportunities to make and keep our community clean and beautiful. The Club would met in the homes of the members once a month. Dues were set at ten cents a month. The members had certain requirements. Each one was to plant three mimosa trees. At every meeting, each member was to bring an arrangement of flowers. These could be a miniature not over eight inches tall, a single specimen or a tall arrangement to be judged.
In April of 1941, the Club changed its name the Mimosa Garden Club and was federated. In November of the same year, the Club was affiliated with the Garden Club of Georgia, and later the National Council of Garden Clubs, and the Marietta Educational Garden Center.
The members have kept their pledge through community and individual projects. They sponsored side walk plantings of watermelon red crepe myrtles in 1942. These grew so large that they obscured the vision of the motorist and had to be cut down later. At this time the total membership was limited to twenty five ladies. During the war years (1941 – 1945), programs and exhibits were changed to Victory Vegetable Gardens and canned food exhibits. The members donated cooking fats which they had saved. The Club received a small amount of money and red food stamps. The food stamps were given to the school cafeteria.
In 1944 Mrs. Thomas (Louise) Clonts sponsored a Junior Garden Club named the Dirt Daubers. It was not active after 1945.
After the war, the Mimosa Garden Club returned to keeping their pledge as gardeners to take care and keep the community clean and beautiful. They continued to study horticulture, flower arranging and how to help maintain the trees, flowers, herbs, birds and butterflies in the community. Many outstanding arrangements have been made by the members over the years.
In the 1950’s they sponsored a Georgia Power Cooking School. They sponsored more than eight flower shows and sent arrangements made by various members to the Cobb County Fair where they won several blue ribbons. They also sent flowers and arrangements to Rich’s Garden Center.
In 1978 Mrs. Faye Lindley inspired the Garden Club to set up a Meditation Garden at the Powder Springs City Cemetery. The ladies have continued to maintain this garden over the years.
The Club decided to landscape the Powder Springs Park. Hastings Seed Company offered their assistance in making a plan. Roses, Iris, and Magnolia Trees were planted there.
In the 1980’s they bought barrels for the downtown area of Powder Springs which they planted and maintained. They planted bulbs at the new Powder Springs Civic Center (The Ron Anderson Memorial Center).
In 1984, the Club helped with organizing the Powder Springs Beautification Committee. On December 13, 1984, there was an event commemorating the Certification of the Committee. Harold Norris was The Team Leader in this project. He was one of the charter Members of the Seven Springs Historical Society. In later years, the Powder Springs Beautification Committee changed its name to Keep Powder Springs Beautiful Association, and are currently still active.
In 1988, Mrs. Willie Mae Godfrey led the Club to establish a Memorial for the members at the Seven Springs Historical Society Museum in Powder Springs Park. Trees were planted in honor and memory of several of the members who had passed away.
In 1989, with the help of Imogene Abernathy and Bonnie Yeager the club planted an herb garden at the Seven Springs Museum.
The Garden Club also asked the Mayor to call a public meeting to establish a Powder Springs Cemetery Association to provided perpetual care. (City Cemetery located on Old Austell Road on the right). This project has been successful and supported by the community.
Through the years many ladies, individually, have made flower Gardens, Rock Gardens, Herb Gardens, day lily gardens, and a colorful cottage garden. Mrs. Martha Brown landscaped her own yard to reflect the beauty of Calloway Gardens. Imogene Abernathy planted a unique herb garden at her home. Several of the members especially worked with horticulture.
Mrs. Martha Brown and Mrs. Dot Burkett faithfully provided special flower arrangements for the Baptist and Methodist Churches for many years. Others have worked on yearbooks and scrapbooks for the Garden Club, winning many awards. During the 1990’s there were many projects undertaken by the Garden Club.
They planted flowers, trees, landscaping on the Grounds of the newly organized Powder Springs Senior Center at the Old Powder Springs Elementary School.
A Butterfly Garden was planted with flowers that would attract the Butterflies, at the Seven Springs Historical Society Museum. Stepping Stones were installed using old grind stones from the Murray Landrum grist mill that had operated in Powder Springs in the early 1900’s. These stones were donated to the Museum by Marsha Doughtery.
A golden path of flowers was planted in honor of the 1996 Olympics. These flowers were planted in 1995 so that they would be in bloom during the Olympics. Snapdragons, marigolds, dahlias, daises, roses, lilies among others that are beautiful.
The Club built Butterfly and Blue Bird House. Some were hung around town and others were sold as fundraisers.
Mrs. Patti Briel and Mrs. Betty DuPre won a state award in 1995 with the Club’s scrapbook.
As the twenty first century came, things were changing which offered new challenges for the Mimosa Garden Club. The years 2000 through 2013 were not as well documented as the earlier ones. However, they left a lot of their scrapbooks, Minutes of meetings, collection of books and various other documents to the Seven Springs Historical Society and are housed at the Museum where we welcome anyone who wishes may come and enjoy their handiwork.
The Mimosa Garden Club continued to work to carry out their Pledge to take care of our trees, flowers and birds and to watch watch for opportunities to make and keep our community clean and beautiful.
The Club continued maintaining the flower and herb gardens and trees they had planted around the Seven Springs Museum. When we experienced the flood in 2009, they helped to revitalize and care for the flowers, herbs and trees around the Museum and other areas in the community.
The Garden Club actually contributed and supported the Garden Clubs and organizations they were members of all through the many years they existed. They worked with these organizations on various projects around the Community, County and State, supporting them monetarily or by volunteering in any way that was needed.
The Garden Club also supported many charities over the years with donations, making crafts for their residences, fund raising and volunteering. Some of these included: the restoration of the Garden Center in Marietta; Open Gate Home for the abused and homeless children; Cobb County Beautiful Roadways with wild flowers on the medians; the American Cancer Society; and Milledgeville Garden Therapy Program at the State Mental Hospital.
The Club continued to increase their knowledge, enjoyment by Members going on field trips to see the many gardens and Horticulture Centers around the state and visiting the Biltmore Estates Gardens in North Carolina.
Even though the Mimosa Garden Club was disbanded in 2013, they will always be known for their many kinds of contributions and their enjoyment for the preservation of all of Nature’s Beauty. The Club, in it’s seventy three years of service, has left its Legacy in many of the trees, gardens and flowers that they had planted throughout the Community
As a member of the Garden Club of Georgia, the Mimosa Garden Club was presented with a large circular sign depicting the Garden Club of Georgia’s logo. The sign was originally erected at the parking area of the old Seven Springs Museum in the trees and flower gardens they had planted.
When the Seven Springs Museum moved to the Bodiford House, the sign was moved and hung on the back wall of the house under the screened in porch for all to enjoy when they park their cars at the Museum.
In 2017, the Seven Springs Historical Society acknowledged and Honored the Mimosa Garden Club, it’s members and charter members for their contribution to the community and the Seven Springs Historical Society and Museum with a plaque which is displayed in the Museum.
This 2018 history of the Mimosa Garden Club has been compiled from information gathered by Sarah Frances Miller, various Club documents, notes, scrapbooks and Minutes of their meetings.