Hours of Operation : Wednesday & Thursday 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM / Saturday 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM / Sunday 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM / Special Hours Available Upon Request
** FREE ADMISSION **

Powder Springs Memorial Gardens

Powder Springs Memorial Gardens was established in 1970 and is located on Atlanta Street near the intersection with Old Austell Road. The Gardens also back up to the Powder Springs City Cemetery located on Old Austell Road.

The first burials were the next year in March of 1971. March: William Doyle “Billy” Mitchell. April: Floyd Phillip Cooper, Jr., USAF; Homer Lee Echols and Ethel Inez Meadows. May: Dorothy Brand Hulsey. September: Bluford K. Byess and Paul Daniel Currier.

In the Memorial Gardens are buried those who were businessmen and tradesmen in Powder Springs, Cobb County and the surrounding areas. Some were veterans who served in war and peace times. Some were doctors, educators, pastors, mayors, councilmen, baseball players and farmers. There are families of the names Abernathy, Baggett, Brown, Cooper, Croker, Haynie, Hunter, Kellett, Long, Meadows, and Porter.

Powder Springs Baseball Players of 1920s and 30s: John B. McTyre (1901-1972) and Paul Edwin Hilley (1912-2000).

Powder Springs Baseball Players of 1947-48: Ty C. Porter (1925-1986) and Carol Edward Moon (1929-2011). Mr. Moon was also involved with the Powder Springs Baseball Association working for many years.

Push Rods – est 1950 – Charter Members: Wendell Gunnell (1932-2000); Sammy (Samuel) Hardy (1938-1996) and Arthur Clay (A.C.) Hunter (1911-1999).

Mayors: Gene Jackson (1926-2005) served 1965-66 and twice as a City Councilman, 1958-59 and 1962-64. Mr. Jackson was also Road Superintendent for Cobb County and a charter member of Doss Memorial Baptist Church. Roy C. Kellet (1925-2005) served 1971-1974 and was a WWII Veteran. Franklin Boyd “Doc” Chastain (1934-1992) served in military in 1951.

Powder Springs City Councilmen: Robert Ervin (R.E.) Long Jr. (1932-2009). Mr. Long was also on the board of directors for Austell Gas System for 43 years. He was President of the C&S Bank of Austell. After 45 years of service in the banking industry, he retired from Bank of America. Joseph Paul Bourassa, Sr. (1927-2010). Mr. Bourassa was also a Past Commander for the American Legion Post #294.

Theses are just a few of the Mayors and City Councilmen who may be buried in this cemetery.

Rudolph Byars Kellett (1927-2006) Postmaster 1963-1975. Charles Robert (Bob) Burkett (1922-2014) was a Rural Mail Carrier. Sewell L. Kellett (1930-1998) was one of the first City Mail Carriers in 1964.

Louise P. Clonts (1905-1993) long time teacher at Powder Springs High School and Powder Springs Elementary School. Bonnie Mercedes Keplinger Ray (1937-2018) taught at Compton Elementary, Tapp and Smitha Middle Schools. Mrs. Alta Harris Hardy (1924-2011) served for many years as a cook at Powder Springs Elementary School System for 33 years.

Vessie Frances Thomas Geen (1916-2002) was one of the five graduated from the first graduating class of Powder Springs High School in 1934.

John “Butch” Davis, Jr. (1961-2011) former owner of Powder Springs Amoco Station (now BP Station) and owner of West Cobb Towing.

John Hiram McTyre (1913-2005) Railroad Switchman.

Powder Springs Youth (Baseball) Association: Charles Robert “Bob” Burkett (1922-2014) Baseball coach for many years. He also coached football at McEachern and was involved with the Boy Scouts. Carl Moon (1929-2011) coached baseball for many years. Joseph Paul Bourassa (1927-2010) was a president and coach of the organization. Stephen Lynn Tessereau (1954-2017) coached Powder Springs Storm Baseball Team and was known as “Coach Steve”. e was also affiliated with McEachern High School’s Seventh Grade Baseball Team.

James Edward Wilson (1941-2007) established Wilson Air Conditioning Service in 1969. He served in Vietnam and was the recipient of the Purple Heart for his service.

Marcus D. Abernathy (1918-1990) worked for Lindley Funeral Home and Bellamy Funeral Home for 60 years. He also served in WWII.

Howard H. Croker (1924-1988) owner Croker Wrecker Company and a used car lot in Powder Springs for many years. He also served in WWII.

James Wesley Chambley (1932-2015) owner of Javelin Printing Company in Atlanta.

Rev. Robert D. Bitterman (1932-2003) was a pastor in Ohio for over 50 years before moving to Powder Springs in 1997. Here he continued working in the missionary evangelist field and pastoral training. Rev. Bitterman was a member of Calvary Baptist Church in Austell.

Stuart B. Powell (1922-2001) a retired City of Atlanta police officer after 30 years of service. He was also a WWII veteran.

Larry Barkwell (1940-1973) worked for the Atlanta Police Department. Killed in the line of duty. Jerry Barkwell (1940-1983) Sheriff’s Department, Brevard County, Florida. Twin brothers, both in law enforcement.

Chief David Wilson Hilton (1937-2016) worked for the Atlanta Fire Department 1955-64 and simultaneously as Fire Chief of the Powder Springs Fire Department until 1971 when it was consolidated into the Cobb County Fire Department. Throughout his career he developed and helped develop various safety procedures for the fire departments. He developed the Emergency 911 System, Georgia’s first Fire Education Department, Fire Arson Investigation, implemented Emergency Medical Service for Cobb County, Residential Fire Code with sprinkler system for buildings across the nation and internationally–just to name a few. Chief Hilton received many awards (local and national) through his career for his achievements and accomplishments. Also, through the years he worked with various youth organizations and his church. He was a charter member of Macland Baptist Church. Chief Hilton retired in 1994.

There are also numerous veterans from various wars buried here. There are only a few of those veterans. A “Thank You” always to all our veterans no matter when or how they served their country.

World War I – Plumer Talmadge Boyd (1895-1957) GA PVT Co G1 Inf Repl Regt (Infantry Replacement Regiment) and John H. Settlemire (1895-1986). Mr. Settlemire also served in WWII.

World War II – George Washington Awtrey, Jr. (1922-2013) served in the Navy and was decorated three times for his service: Joseph Preston Carter (1914-1994); Irene Kellett (1923-1987); George M. Haynie (1920-1991); Harkless M. “Hark” Kinsey (1919-2013); J. Walden (J.W.) Taylor (1923-2013) received Air Medal for Flying 50 missions over South Pacific; Furman T. Finch (1927-1999); Samuel Paul Thomason (1923-2008) and Jessie Leroy Long, Jr. (1923-2002) in Coast Guard.

Korea – Carolyn Anne Lester Piper (1932-2015) Army as Cryptographer 1950-52; James Harle Elbon, Jr. (1929-1997); Billy Crabbe (1932-2014) and served after the war as a pastor for over 40 years. Verlon Edward Maxwell (1922-1999).

Korea and Vietnam – Dennis E. Couch (1933-2018): James H. McFarland (1930-2004) and John H. Vann, Jr. (1933-1987).

Vietnam – Jackie Wright Allen (1939-2005); Bobby G. Bookout (1946-2017): Dr. SIlas W. (Wayne) Brown (1949-1985): Harold George Cantrell (1932-2006); Russell C. Mountcastle II (1935-2001) and Roland Kirk Rakestraw (1938-1999).

There is a marker for military service in memory of PO Joel Candler Stephens (1943-1968) who was lost at sea approximately 400 miles SW of the Azores eastern edge of Sargasso Sea in 1968.

There are memorial markers throughout the cemetery honoring the lives and families of those buried here in their final resting place. There are also markers honoring the memory of those who, for some reason, could not actually be buried here.

There is an American flag along the entrance to the cemetery. The marker has emblems of the U. S. Military Forces. Below these emblems it reads: ” Flags Flying in Memory of…”

All who are buried here have, in some way, all through their lives, helped make their communities a better place to live for all generations.

The Powder Springs Memorial Garden currently has over 1250 graves. However, there is still more room for future burials today in 2019.

The Memory Gardens is a perpetual care cemetery and is associated with the Sunrise Memorial Gardens in Douglasville.

Church of God of Prophecy Cemetery

Powder Springs, Georgia
1960

The Church of God of Prophecy Cemetery was established in 1960 and is located behind the Powder Springs Christian Fellowship Center at 4050 Austell-Powder Springs Road. This was the original Church of God Prophecy built in 1960. The cemetery backs up to the Methodist Cemetery.

The first burial was in December of 1960 of Eric Glenn Gilmer, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Lamar Gilmer.

The Church of God of Prophecy was organized in 1937. Their first church was built below Clarkdale in 1939-40. They sold that property and built a new church building in Powder Springs at 4050 Austell-Powder Springs Road in 1959-60. Ralph E. Bryant was pastor.

The church later built a new home just down the street at 4263 Austell-Powder Springs Road. Their original building is now used as Powder Springs Christian Fellowship Center.

In the Church of God Cemetery are buries church members and their families.

There are two graves at the edge of the woods on the right as you enter the cemetery. Alfonso D. Thompkins (1874-1949) and Fanny G. Thompkins (1895-1970). These graves are part of the Methodist Cemetery and not the Church of God Cemetery.

Charter Members of the Church: Elsie Ingram Hembree (1900-1980) and James Homer Hembree (1895-1972).

Members of the Building Committee 1959-1960: T. W. “Dutch” Ballew (1896-1970), Chairman; C. M. (Clyde Miron) Elsberry (1920-1984) also a WWII Veteran and Ernest J. Gordon (1989-1975).

Pastor of Church of God: Reverend Clifton L. Summerall, Sr. (1922-2011) beloved Minister who served twice. His wife, Ida Belle Spear Summerall(1923-2003) is buried by his side.

Annie Jane Summerall Herrin (1942-2015) who served as church Clerk/Treasurer, Sunday School Teacher and Praise and Worship Leader. She retired from Bank of America in Austell after thirty-five years of service.

Annie Mary Gordon (1914-2006) retired spinner from Coats and Clark in Clarkdale.

Marcie Hembree Hooks (1941-2013) retired from Richs-Macys after twenty-three years as secretary.

Marilyn Minter Ingram Stephens (1937-2013) served in the Music Ministry of the church for over sixty years.

There are also several Veterans from various wars buried here. These listed here are some of those Veterans. A “Thank You” always to all our Veterans no matter when or how they served their country.

World War II – C. B. Cleveland (1903-2000); James Wilson Griffin, Sr. (1925-1978); Jackson Edward Barnett (1926-2007); Howard Grady Bell (1918-1973); Ides William Gramling (1920-1993); Howard P. Pharr (1920-1981); Earl Neil White (1920-1999) and Rufus Lowell White (1917-2005). Earl Neil White and Rufus Lowell White were brothers.

Korea – Doyle F. Minter (1933-1975).

Vietname – Ken Murray (1933-1995).

There are memorial markers honoring the lives and families that are buried here in their final resting place.

The Church of God Cemetery has between 90-100 graves.

The cemetery is sometimes referred to as the Powder Springs Christian Fellowship Cemetery.

Al those buried here have left our community a better place to live, touching many lives along the way.

Note: The history of the church was taken from the information compiled by Annie Mary Gordon and Doris Hembree Gramling in the 1980s and 90s at the request of Sarah Frances Miller and Virginia Tapp. The information these two ladies provided are part of the archives of the Seven Springs Historical Society and housed at the Seven Springs Museum at the Bodiford House. We are indebted to these two gracious ladies for sharing this with us.

The Seven Springs of Powder Springs

The history of Powder Springs is the history of the relationship between the people and the seven spring located here. The area was originally part of the Cherokee Indian Nation. These seven springs were well known to Indians. The Cherokee and Creek called the site Gunpowder Springs because of the mineral bearing Sulfur and blackish sediment in the springs. The sediment was said to be ‘as dry as powder when the water runoff’. The Indians used the water of the springs for medicinal value. They would bring their sick to the springs to take advantage of the curative power of the minerals.

Pioneers, or white settlers, began settling the area as early as 1819. The village became a center for commerce. The springs were the town’s water supply.

The town was often referred to as The Springs, Springville or Gunpowder Springs. It was not until 1838 that the town had an official name. On December 29, 1838, the town was incorporated as Springville and the first Post Office was established. Then, on December 19, 1859, the town was incorporated as Powder Springs. Powder Springs may have been referred to as Seven Springs at times but was never officially named such.

MINERALS FOUND IN THE SPRINGS: Silica, Chlorine, Sulfur, Trioxide, Carbon Dioxide, Sodium Dioxide, Potassium Oxide, Lime, Magnesia, Phosphorus Pent Oxide, Arsenic, Hydrogen Sulphide, Alumina, Ferric Oxide and Lithia. (Information from the Geological Survey of Georgia Bulletin No. 20: A Preliminary Report on the Mineral Springs of Georgia).

The water table is very near the surface and there are many springs. All of the springs are small and none of them furnishing more than a gallon a minute.

Locations of the Seven Springs

The Spring located in the City of Powder Springs Park by Powder Creek was the most popular. It supplied water for the town of Powder Springs for many years as its only public water supply.

Across Highway 278 (Marietta Street) from the Lovinggood house located at the Brownsville Road intersection between the road and the railroad tracts.

Near the Southern Railroad (CSX) tracks by Long Street is close to the back of the last baseball field in Powder Springs Park and behind the house of Naomi Marshall.

In back of the Magnolia House on Marietta Street.

In the back of the W. R. Tapp House. A white frame house next to The First Baptist Church on Marietta Street. The spring continues behind the church’s sanctuary.

In back of the Service Stations on Marietta Street between New Macland Road and Siniard Street.

Located behind the second house west of LaFayette Drive (Florence Estates Subdivision) at 4245 Atlanta Street. This was the former home of Homer Scott (female) and the location of the Powder Springs Academy. The young boys who went there to school considered it an honor of being chosen to bring a bucket of water from the springs for the other students.

Powder Springs Cured Ailments

In the 1850s, Powder Springs was a health resort. Doctors prescribed a trip to the springs and treatments of various lengths for patients with serious kidney and bladder diseases, W.R. Tapp, Sr., was told by some of the oldest citizens that there was a hotel and a sanatorium in the park at the spring, that the hotel was destroyed by fire in 1859, and that the sanatorium disappeared in a few years. The Civil War put an end to Powder Springs as a health resort according to an account in the Mableton Mail, July 8, 1961. “The original building was a two-story one at the site of the pump house in the park. It was the town’s club house before the War of 1861 and reconstruction days.” This building could have been the one used as a sanatorium before the hotel burned.

According to Miss Roberta Murray, “In the early days of Springville (Powder Springs) the Pavilion was at the site where the brick pump house now stands in the city park. Powder Creek would overflow after rains and it interfered with the social life so the early settlers and their slaves cut a canal and changed the course of Powder Creek and built the present pavilion before the Civil War.”

From 1880 through the early 1900s, the park and spring attracted groups from neighboring communities and from Atlanta for recreational purposes. School groups, clubs and church groups picnicked then enjoyed the dance pavilion, the ball diamond, wading in the shallow water of Powder Creek and fishing in the deeper holes, horseshoe pitching, picking blackberries and other wild fruits, and spreading their lunches in the shade of the trees. The Southern Railroad ran special excursion trains in the summers, beginning in 1882, to Powder Springs. If the picnickers wanted to go riding around the country side, they could go to the Lindley Livery Stable and rent horses, buggies, carriages and wagons.

Political rallies and family reunions were held at the springs. Wheat Street Baptist Church from Atlanta had a picnic there. Local people had dances, wiener roasts, marshmallow toastings, box suppers, community sings and games of various kinds at the park. On Sunday afternoons the spring was a favorite gathering place for the young ladies and gentlemen of the town.

Printed in The Historical News Cobb & Douglas County, January 2018 – Info gathered by Sarah Frances Miller & Roberta Murray in the 1970s

Powder Springs Funeral Home History

Powder Springs Funeral Home originally opened in the 1850’s. The founder was Mr. Uriah Mathews. It was located in the area of town square. He kept the business until he sold it to Mr. Thomas Newell Lindley in 1899. At that time Mr. Lindley had a store and bookstore, and a casket room on the back of it. Uncle Tom ran the business until his death in 1937. On December 24, 1936 he hired Mr. Warren Watson “Pinky” Jennings. In 1937 Tom Lindley’s grandson Mr. Frank Pickens “Pick” Lindley took over the business. In 1940, the first actual funeral home building was opened. It was located in the Lindley Calloway House, which stands next door to the present location (now Mon Ami Academy). In 1953 the business was moved next door into the Walker Florence House. In 1968 Pick Lindley sold the funeral home to Mr. Gene Davis and it was renamed White Columns Funeral Home at Powder Springs. He only kept the business for three years, and in 1971 it was sold to Mr. Marion Heyward Turk. At this time the funeral home was called Turk’s Memory Chapel. Upon Mr. Turk’s death in 1980 his family sold the funeral home to Mr. Dennis Edward Bellamy. Mr. Bellamy still owns and operates the funeral home. Bellamy Funeral Home will open a new location in Hiram in November 1996, but the Powder Springs Funeral Home will remain in the present location. Over the years many people have worked at the funeral home, including Mr. Walter Thomas “Soup” Turner, Mrs. Mina Murray Turner, Mr. Marcus Dewitt Abernathy, Mr. Lloyd Duncan, Mr. Ralph Linton “Lin” Spratlin, Mr. Terry Pendley, Mr. Eric Jon White II, Mr. Duane John Baay, Mr. C. David Kirkland, Mr. Brantley Hastings, Mrs. Hilda McCarson, Mrs. Shelly Bellamy Palmer, and Mrs. Tara Genobles. Pinky Jennings continues to work at the funueral home, and on Christmas Eve of this year he will have achieved 60 years of service.
Sara Francis Miller, 1995, Seven Springs Museum Newsletter

An Old Home Place with Memories

An Old Home Place with Memories

by Sara Francis Miller
Powder Springs Messenger, April 1995

Near the right-of-way for the turnoff on Powder Springs Marietta Road to Cater Road sits a small yellow weather boarded house. It sits on a hill with a holly tree on the left. This is an old log farm house with two bedrooms and a kitchen. Another room was added on the house after the Civil War.

Here Jonathan Lindley grew wheat, cotton, corn and vegetables for his wife, Asenath and their five children. Nearby neighbors: the Selmans, Hunters and Pettys were friends. Jonathan Lindley like many others went to fight in the Civil War. Unfortunately he list his life in the battle. So his brave wife was left to raise the family. She had determination to make a go of it-even walked to Marietta with two other women to get a peck of meal.

During the war the Yankee soldiers shot in to the front wall of the cabin. The shrapnel splintered the log. A splinter closed the eye of the baby Asenath (Thomas Newell Lindley) was rocking. That very log is now in the museum in the park.

The house has had many owners: Tom Lindley, Fannie Turner, T.H. Scruggs, Mr. Glen Thrasher, Mr. I.L. Bowling and Nash Hovers who worked at Coats and Clark Thread Mill. The last tenants were a granddaughter of Nash Hovers; Angela and her husband Steve Tessereau. They have built a new house on Carter Road. Each family member has the vivid memories of living through wars and depressions and making ends meet regardless of good and poor crop years, stubborn mules, sickness and death.

Moving this historic house will help to make an easier turn for the motorist who may not be aware of the little log house with a shed room added to the back of the house. Hold on to the memories of happy carefree barefoot summers and wading in nearby Noses Creek and finding Indian arrowheads and spent Federal Army bullets.

Powder Springs Remembers Grady Grier for Service to Schools

The Powder Springs Elementary School will celebrate its 30th anniversary in October at this location on Grady Grier Drive.

Douglas Brice, Neighbor Staff Writer, August 11, 1988

For 15 years Grady Grier braved the elements as a school crossing guard, helping the children of Powder Springs and Milford arrive safely at school and home again.

In recognition of his service to the people of Powder Springs, the Powder Springs City Council announced last week that the new street leading to the new Powder Springs Elementary School from Old Austell Road will be named Grady Grier Drive in his honor.

“I think that’s the most appropriate to name the street after him,” said Murray Barber, assistant superintendent for elementary operations for the Cobb County Public Schools.

Barber was principal of Tapp Middle School from 1975-1981, while Grier served as crossing guard. He knew Grier for almost 30 years as a fellow member of the First Baptist Church of Powder Springs before Grier’s death in 1985.

“He was a real friend to the students,” said Barber. “The kids loved him.”

Grier was often on hand at student orientations, even though not required, directing traffic and making himself available to meet parents.

Aaron Grady Grier, known by his friends simply as Grady, died March 22, 1985, at the age of 89. He was married 58 years to Maggie Hays Grier, who died in 1975, and had two sons, Billy and Herbert.

Originally from Cherokee County, Grier worked 35 years at the old Whittier Mills in Atlanta. They moved to Powder Springs in 1956.

Grier drove a school bus for three years in Powder Springs and served as a school crossing guard from April 1969 to 1976 at Milford Elementary School then at Tapp Middle School from 1976 until shortly before his death.

Grier was known as a man who loved people and was always actively involved with his church, the school and with the job of living in general, said Barber. He had a strong faith in God and was always kind and thoughtful.

“He was a person who encouraged others,” said Barber. “One of his favorite pastimes was to call people on the telephone on his or her birthday and, after a brief hello, he played happy birthday to them on the harmonica.”

“Grady Grier’s faith was an inspiration to many,” said Barber.

“He just enjoyed life,” said daughter-in-law Ruth Grier.

Grier joined the First Baptist Church of Powder Springs in the late 1950’s, taught Sunday school, sang in the choir, was a deacon and was involved with the senior citizens’ group.

The Rev. Michael Woods of First Baptist, who came to Powder Springs in 1981, remembers him as a man who seemed much younger than his age, he said. In fact, he practiced in the choir the Friday before he died.

“I never knew Grady to say anything ill about anybody,” said Woods. “He was a man of integrity.

Although Grier seldom discussed his faith in God, “He’s one who just liked (his faith) to the fullest,” said Woods. “I never did see him depressed.

Woods considers it appropriate they named a street next to a school after him, he said.

Grier worked at Tapp until March 1984, when he left for medical reasons, but returned that fall. He stayed until November 1984. He died the following March.

At the time of his death in 1985, he also had two daughters-in-law, Ruth and Nellie Ruth, four grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild. He had one surviving sister, Lena Hill of Acworth.

 

 

Fabulous Female Flocks

A search began in late 2017 for more information on a curious resident of the Methodist cemetery in Powder Springs, GA. On a mid-sized tombstone topped with a carving of a parachuter reads:

Reo Flock Russell
June 19, 1909
Nov 2, 1936
Daredevil Sister of the Fabulous Flock Family

This grave, on the far right side of the cemetery, sits alone as if the family anticipated burying more members alongside Reo. More interesting still is the fact that, judging by the last name of Russell, Reo was apparently married, but still buried alone in a cemetery almost a hundred miles from her hometown of Fort Payne, Alabama. Why? Hearsay from the community agrees that Reo, who was a barnstormer—trick airplane performer—loved the landscape of Powder Springs from the air, and wanted to be buried in the small Western Georgia town. One may think she died performing, as she was only 27 at the time of her death, however, reports are that she suffered from tuberculosis. Apart from a single page on the Encyclopedia of Alabama website*, there isn’t much information on Reo Flock herself, but plenty on her famous brothers, who were early NASCAR racers. In fact, the name “Reo” derived from the REO Motor Car Company. There is a full biography of her family on the EoA website** as well, along with the only known photo of Reo, in which she is hanging from a (grounded) airplane.

Also worthy of mention is Reo’s sister, Ethel Flock, who was included in the book NASCAR: The Complete History by Greg Fielden. On page 19 it states: “A few female drivers, including Sara Christian, Louise Smith, and Ethel Flock, competed alongside with the fellows.” Later, on page 42, there is a captioned photo of Ethel with one of her brothers, and it reads, “Fonty Flock poses with his sister, race car driver Ethel Flock Mobley, before the Oct. 23 Atlanta race. Mobley drove in two Strictly Stock events in ’49, including the Daytona Beach race that has three female drivers in the lineup. Ethel was the wife of Mobley, who fielded modified cars for Tim Flock.” The Encyclopedia of Alabama page related that Ethel moved from women-only races to regular competitions, and even beat two of her brothers in a single race! Her career was short-lived, however, as—according to the EoA—she retired to focus on her family life.

Women in the early to mid-20th century were often regulated to a barely a mention in history, as my sleuthing has proved. In my quest to find more information on the intriguing Reo, I attempted to contact living family members who could vouch for the supposed information, and perhaps offer a more personal account of her life for the records at the Powder Springs Historical Society. Unfortunately, I did not get a response as yet, but have found that a great-niece, Carrie Flock, is a retired boxer. Apparently the Flocks are still producing fierce females!

*http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/m-2138
**http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1049

Powder Springs Methodist Cemetery
3975-4043 Old Austell Road
Powder Springs, GA 30127

Historic Methodist Cemetery

HISTORIC METHODIST CEMETERY
POWDER SPRINGS, GEORGIA
1847

The Methodist Cemetery was established in 1847 and is located on the east side of Old Austell Road approximately one mile from historic downtown Powder Springs. It is sometimes referred to as the “old cemetery” and often confused with the neighboring cemeteries across the street – Powder Springs City Cemetery and the Powder Springs Memorial Gardens Cemetery.

The earliest marked burial is dated 1847 and is that of Samuel Cobb Scott born 1776. Samuel was a Captain in the war of 1812 from Abbeville, S.C. He and his wife Jane (who died 1866) are buried at the rear of the cemetery near the wood line that separates the cemetery from the shopping center. Their graves are sunken and marked with field stones. There are also some unmarked graves.

The first Methodist Church was a log cabin that was located on the south side of the present cemetery. The land was owned by Elisha Lindley (1816-1876) and Jane Scott Lindley (1813-1885), who were Charter members of the Methodist Church. They gave this land for both the “Church Building” and the “Methodist Cemetery”. This information was gathered by Sarah Frances Miller for a ‘History of The Powder Springs Methodist Church’ in the 1970’s and is in “A Brief History of the Powder Springs First United Methodist Church” written by Richard T. Huber, Sr., published in 2010.

The Church was officially organized in 1844 and a frame building was constructed on the lot where the present church sets. This land was given by Johnathan Lindley, Jr. (1808-1868), also a charter member.

In the Methodist Cemetery are buried a number of the early families of Powder Springs. These are Baggett’s, Butner’s, Camp’s, DuPre(e)’s, Florence’s, Furr’s, Lindley’s, Landrum’s, Miller’s, Murray’s, McEachern’s, Nestlehutt’s, Ragsdale’s, Rice’s, and Stovall’s. These included merchants of various trades, businessmen, farmers, mayors, and doctors.

There are graves at the very back of the cemetery in the woods that are said to be those of slaves. At one time they were marked with field stones.

Elisha Hamilton Lindley (1816-1876) and Jane Scott Lindley (1813-1885), charter members of the Methodist Church; Johnathan Lindley, Jr. (1808-1868) and Uriah Mathews (1826-1911) Powder Springs first Undertaker in 1850.

Mayor’s of Powder Springs: W. W. Scott (1845-1930); J. H. Lewis (1876- 1946): Frank Furr (1922-1955); Robert Hubert Lindley (1888-1965) and Harry Miller (1896-1975). These are just a few of the Mayors who may be buried in this cemetery.

George David Miller (1867-1955) was one of the first rural male carriers for Powder Springs in the early 1900’s and a City Councilman. The buggy he used to deliver the mail is on display at the Seven Springs Museum. Harry Miller (1896-1975) delivered mail from 1918-1928 who’s route included delivering to the A & M School in Macland (McEachern Schools). Ezma D. Lindley (1879-1950) was Postmaster 1923-1928. Roberta Murray (1888- 1972) was a Postmistress 1915-1922 and known as the first historian of Powder Springs.

Doctor’s: J. D. Middlebrooks (1861-1938) and a City Councilman in the early 1900’s.; J. S. Vaughan (1862-1923) and a City Councilman in the early 1900’s. Robert Rootes Murray (1836-1909), Confederate Army Surgeon and father of Roberta Murray (1888-1972); and William Edgar Butner (1868-1927).

T. N. Lindley (1858-1937) was Marshal in 1901. Thomas A. Parks Lindley (1849-1916) was Marshal in 1900 and 1906. Dotson A. Bennett (1892-1943) was Marshal and night watchman in 1934.

T. N. (Thomas Newell Lindley) (1858-1937) became Undertaker and owner of the funeral home in 1899 when Uriah Matthews sold the business to him. Mr. Lindley had a store and bookstore with a casket room on the back of this business in downtown. At his death, his grandson Pick Lindley took over the funeral home business.

Seaborn Epperson (S.E.) Smith (1871-1940) was the depot agent for the Southern Railway Depot. In 1923 he was also the President of the Bank of Powder Springs. He has a “Woodman of the World” marker. John L. Calloway (1865-1888) and Lindley Murray (1869-1889) both worked for the East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia Railroad. Both men were crushed between railway cars in accidents and killed.

John A. Lewis (1853-1926) owned one of the cotton gins in town and built the two story brick building downtown around 1900, that is referred to as The Lewis Building.

William LaFayette Florence (1873-1949) wife Agnes Lindley (1875-1927) His first job was on the East Tennessee, Virginia And Georgia Railroad as a Conductor. Mr. Florence also was the owner of W. L. Florence Construction Company. In 1941, he and his company graded, created and built Rickenbacker Air Field and Highway 41 from Marietta to Atlanta. In 1942 this airfield then became part of the Marietta Aircraft Plant which was Bell Aircraft and better known as the “Bell Bomber Plant”. The air field was later shared by Bell’s successor Lockheed-Martin and Dobbins Air Force Base and the Naval Air Station of Atlanta. His company also built many of the access roads for the plant as well as the railroad underpass. Mr. Florence was also a farmer in Powder Springs where he raised various crops and cattle. Florence Road was named for him and his farm which was where the farm was located.

Francis C. House (1825-1883) was member of Atlanta City Council but resigned in April of 1861 to join the Confederate Army. A few years after the war, Mr. House moved to Powder Springs where he purchased a lot with two buildings at the back of the property in downtown Powder Springs. The two existing building were originally used as a Wells Fargo Way Station, stables and blacksmith shops as early the 1830’s. Mr. House then built the front part of the building facing Marietta Street which he used for his carpentry business. His sons continued to use the back parts as blacksmith’s shops. This is the current Country Store building.

J. B. McCutcheons (1906-1973) was Umpire for Powder Springs Baseball Team in the 1920’s and 1930’s. Ralph Linton “Len” Spratlin (1925 2015) member of the Powder Springs Baseball Team in1947 and 1948. Walter McElreath (1867-1951) was the founder of the Atlanta Historical Society and donated two million dollars to the Society. Mr. McElreath was admitted to the Bar in Marietta but lived and practiced law in Atlanta. He was also a member of the Georgia General Assembly 1909-1912.

On the far right side of the cemetery is a grave that sits alone. The marker is a mid-sized tombstone topped with a carving of a parachute that reads: Reo Flock Russell, June 19, 1909 – Nov 2, 1936. Reo Flock was a ‘barnstormer’ during the 1920’s and 1930’s. She was a trick airplane performer, stunt parachutist, as well as an expert Skeet Shooter. Reo loved the landscape of Powder Springs from the air, which was part of the flight pattern for airplanes at that time. It is said that this is the reason Reo wanted to be buried here.

Sarah Frances Miller (1918-2002) was a Powder Springs Historian whose family were long time residences of the Powder Springs community. She was an educator for over 35 years in Cobb County; a charter member and President of the Seven Springs Historical Society; the Historian of the Mimosa Garden Club; one of the historians of the First Baptist Church and charter member of and Co-Secretary and Treasurer of the Powder Springs Senior Center. Miss Miller was the driving force behind the creation of the Seven Springs Museum where she served as President and curator for many years. She also co-authored the cookbook “Seven Springs Sampler” which is a history of Powder Springs with drawings of some the older homes along with recipes plus information about herbs. Miss Miller was also named the South Cobb Citizen of the Year on May 21, 1992 by the Austell/South Cobb Rotary Club and the South Cobb Division of the Cobb County Chamber of Commerce. She received an award/statue of a bronze Eagle on an American Flag.

There are also numerous Veterans from various wars buried here. These are only a few of those Veterans. A ‘Thank You’ always to all our Veterans no matter when or how they served their country.

War of 1812 – Samuel Cobb Scott (1776-1847).

War Between the States (American Civil War) – Elisha H. Lindley (1816-1876) and his son William R. Lindley (1840-1863). They both served in the same Company in the Confederate Army. William was killed in battle on 11-29-1863 and his father brought his body back home for final burial. William J. Manning (1843-1915); Elijah N. Ragsdale (1814-1909); Bellington Sanders Florence (1829-1887); and William Y. Stovall (1824-1900). James Rice (1810-1889) enlisted in 1863 at Powder Springs.

World War I – George M. Furr (1891-1980); Grady H. Furr (1897-1976); Robert Hubert Lindley (1888-1965); John R. Middlebrooks (1889 1921). Thomas J. McDonald (1887-1960); John Hansel Baggett, Jr. (1897-1977); William R. Bennett (1890-1948) medic: Luke T. Mizell (1878 1938) Coast Guard (1899-1903) served in the Philippines in 1900.

World War II – Milton Bowden (1920-1981); Robert Murray Middlebrooks Turner (1917-1997); Billy Dean Roper (1927-1981); Robert P. Boyd (1910-1979)

There are memorial markers throughout the cemetery honoring the lives and families of those buried here in their final resting place.

The Methodist Cemetery has approximately 900 graves. There is still room for many other graves, even today in 2018.

All those buried here have left our community a better place just by choosing to settle and living their lives here.

Attention genealogy enthusiasts!
We’ve started a free Genealogy Group here at the museum. It meets on the last Thursday of each month at 6:00 PM. Everyone is welcome to join! If you have any questions, please contact us. Thank you!

Facebook Page Widget

Copyright © 2020